Seasoned Wood in Rhode Island

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SherryAnn

Jan 26, 2009
Little Rhody
This is our first year burning, and we've made all the newbie mistakes, including buying unseasoned wood. We are now running out and would like to continue burning. Anyone tell me where to get seasoned wood in RI, preferably in South County?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Feel free to PM if you are including a phone number.

SherryAnn said:
This is our first year burning, and we've made all the newbie mistakes, including buying unseasoned wood. We are now running out and would like to continue burning. Anyone tell me where to get seasoned wood in RI, preferably in South County?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Feel free to PM if you are including a phone number.

Hey SherryAnn,

It's a gamble at this point to find well seasoned wood. I used to work in East Providence and right on the 195 entrance area there is a huge, and I mean huge, pile of cord wood. I'm not sure if he's a distributor, but it may be worth looking into. Other than that, I don't know many in the RI area. Just be careful and it would be a good idea to have a guarantee built into the purchase. Have the driver prove it with samples using a moisture meter with the load they drop off. If you find the wood moisture reading averaging 25%, the wood is still considered green. You are looking for readings around 20% or less.

The other thought is use your other heat source. I know it's tough to give up the stove, but if you heat with oil, it's fairly competitive to "seasoned" wood costs you'll pay right now.

Best thing to do now it get green wood for next season and get extra just in case we have another tough winter next year.

Steve

There's a place on Route 2 close to the Veteran's Cemetary that has huge piles of wood. I don't think that wood is seasoned however they have some stacked wood that surrounds these piles that has been there for quite a while. I don't know the name but they have a sign in front of their business that is all but faded.

I'm almost out of wood as well and will be hanging up my wielding gloves for the season in probably two weeks time.

Status
Not open for further replies.