Seasoned wood that is "wet"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chutes

Sep 8, 2008
CT
I have two different areas where my seasoned wood is stacked. One section is outdoors (about 2.5 cord), tops only covered by tarp. Other 2.5 cord in a shed. My plan is to use the outdoor stuff first and save the stuff in the shed. I know that my wood is seasoned because it burns incredibly well. We got some horizontal rains here in CT, so my outdoor stuff did get a bit wet.

Here's my question:
If creosote is caused by smoke and water (I think that is what AP taught me), then is my "wet" seasoned wood something that I should avoid burning?

Most likely if you have a couple of dry days, that surface moisture is gonna be gone anyhow. Burn 'em if ya got 'em.

If you can split the wood and the freshly exposed interior faces of the wood are still nice and dry, it's usually fine. To get dry wood, water has a have a chance to puddle and sit on or under the wood for awhile. Then it starts to soak it up.

As long as it's not on the ground, in your swimming pool, or covered in snow, that water won't get too deep into the wood, and will dry as Jags said, or will dry shortly after adding it to the stove if it's still moist.

Thanks everyone. I just filled the stove with the outdoor stuff. I can already tell that it is taking a little longer to get going (probably because of some of the moisture on the outside) but even as I type this it is starting to chug along pretty good. Plus, I took a walk outside and there is no smoke coming out of my stack, which I assume is a good sign.

Thanks again.

I have stacked a few damp splits near the stove and the "surface" water was gone by the time these splits hit the coals. No Problens at all.

don't worry... i threw in some hardwood flooring (brazilian cherry ) that has been in my basement with a dehumidifier for over 3months and it started hissing!!!!lmao!!!! can you imagine that!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.