Seasoning a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hearthon

Dec 6, 2019
hearthon
Hello everyone I judt recently bought a stove and was wondering if I should season it like oil before using it or often?

I've been reading that I do small fires a few times and raise the temp slowly but if you ever had cast iron pots or a offset smoker bbq you should season it with duck fat every so often. I can't seem to find anything that says to season the stove with anything to keep it from rusting?

What do you guys do?

Hello everyone I judt recently bought a stove and was wondering if I should season it like oil before using it or often?

I've been reading that I do small fires a few times and raise the temp slowly but if you ever had cast iron pots or a offset smoker bbq you should season it with duck fat every so often. I can't seem to find anything that says to season the stove with anything to keep it from rusting?

What do you guys do?
No it's painted you don't season it. And don't use duck fat on pans either. Grape seed oil is what I use. Much higher smoke point and makes a harder finish

Reactions: Wildflush
This isn't like a frying pan even if the stove is made of cast iron. Cleaning and care info is on page 15 of the manual under Maintenance.

PS: If you get a chance can you add your stove make and model to your signature line?

Reactions: bholler
The all-seeing mods are able to figure out what stove this is. :)
Magical help!

(I know, I know, they probably helped with advise for a stove that fits the situation earlier....)

I am assuming it's a VC Dauntless, but this is where having the stove model in the signature line really helps. Anyone trusting my memory is on thin ice. ;lol

Reactions: stoveliker
I am assuming it's a VC Dauntless, but this is where having the stove model in the signature line really helps. Anyone trusting my memory is on thin ice. ;lol
I believe it's a small drolet

Ya drolet escape
Ah, wrong thread or wrong head. I warned ya. Definitely a painted stove. Please add the stove to your signature line.

No it's painted you don't season it. And don't use duck fat on pans either. Grape seed oil is what I use. Much higher smoke point and makes a harder finish
Thread hijack incoming...

I gave up trying to get my pans to non stick/wipe clean and put away. I have a seperate egg pan, but anything else I am seering usually and finishing in the oven. I still get some stuff stuck on, and find it very hard to not clean with water.
I then mist it with some spray canola oil and yes, it smokes when Im preheating my pan. When I cook I set off the fire alarm. That's what I'm known for.

I gave up trying to get my pans to non stick/wipe clean and put away. I have a seperate egg pan, but anything else I am seering usually and finishing in the oven. I still get some stuff stuck on, and find it very hard to not clean with water.
I then mist it with some spray canola oil and yes, it smokes when Im preheating my pan. When I cook I set off the fire alarm. That's what I'm known for.
I clean my properly seasoned cast iron with soap and water all the time with no problems at all.

I clean my properly seasoned cast iron with soap and water all the time with no problems at all.
ah ok, well I thought I was committing a cast iron sin. So then after washing you oil and put it away right?

ah ok, well I thought I was committing a cast iron sin. So then after washing you oil and put it away right?
I usually just dry it and put it away

well, the good news is that your wood stove won't be affecting your (lung) health significantly on top of what the cooking already does...

I suggest a good air filter

And on that note...

Status
Not open for further replies.