seasoning my scavengings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

astonvilla65

Jan 26, 2017
bham
Hi again guys, this wood I have scavenged, I'm wondering would you keep it whole whilst it seasons or take the chainsaw to it and risk a blunt saw? Obv smaller means faster but I'm in no hurry!

Wet wood cuts much easier than dry wood. The harder woods like hedge can be almost impossible to cut once they dry out.
Splitting is maybe another matter depending on the species. Some split better wet and some split better after they have dried a little.

Wet wood cuts much easier than dry wood. The harder woods like hedge can be almost impossible to cut once they dry out.
Splitting is maybe another matter depending on the species. Some split better wet and some split better after they have dried a little.
Im sorry but A drier wood is always easier to cut imo, i'm cutting damp to heavy moisture contained wood with my bow with ease, not sure if any wood is harder to cut dry?

Hard woods like white oak have closed cells that store water, once they dry out the closed cell gets very brittle, multiple that my a billion cells and your hard wood becomes even more hard, making it tougher to cut through.

In my experience, wet wood always cuts easier, except maybe pine when it's real sticky and gets the bar and everything all gummed up.