Seasoning Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So much to learn. I'm amazed how my great grandfather knew all this living in western NC without hearth.com.

Okay thanks. I was planning on using the pallets for kindling but I guess I'll have enough just from splitting. I placed the red bricks parallel to each other on the ground then started the first row of splits on them. Figured that may mimic a pallet but it's not as far off the ground.

Perfect

As long as you get them off the ground is the important thing. I think pallets will let more air around and keep them higher of the ground, but anything to get them off the dirt is a plus.
Most hardware stores will be glad for you to ask them for their pallets.

Virtually everything on our 12 acres is Oak, with a bit of pignut hickory. Lots of Water Oak but others as well. I have cut down standing dead trees, known to have been dead at least two years - so dead the top branches have virtually all fallen off- and have found that the trunk still oozes water. In most cases, even here in hot South East Texas, Oak needs AT LEAST two years split and stacked in a sunny place catching the prevailing winds. Catching wind is more important than sun.

I have one one exception. In 2011 we were in the midst of a bad drought and had over 100 days of 100+degree temperatures. Winds out of the SW blew like a furnace all summer. VERY wet, green oak seasoned to less than 20% in about nine months.

I understand that many of you just don't have a place to store wood for two or three years but if you could start out with even half a cord, then maybe add another half each year as your burn down your other supplies, you'll end up with some of the best burns you ever had.

I've been bypassing the oak rounds when I scrounge. Just go right to the sugar maple (I think that's what it is). If the oak is still there after I ransack the maple and all the pine then I'll get the oak. Kind of disappointing it takes so long to cure oak.

Yeah. . . that very well may be but it's still not worth staring at a pile for 2+ years

If you are unable, or unwilling, to get two or three years ahead, giving good wood time to properly season, you are condemning yourself to a lifetime of inefficient burns and inferior wood. And many people here will agree with me when I say... Yes, it IS worth the wait.

If you are unable, or unwilling, to get two or three years ahead, giving good wood time to properly season, you are condemning yourself to a lifetime of inefficient burns and inferior wood. And many people here will agree with me when I say... Yes, it IS worth the wait.

That means I'll have at least 12 cords of firewood sitting in my yard at any given time. That's a lot of wood and space.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Not really that large a space, and space well used.

I tried burning oak tonight seasoned for a year. Stove fell on its face hard - sending the rest of it back to the pile for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.