Second floor chimney enclosure in bedroom.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bumblebeetuna96

Mar 17, 2018
USA
I'm planning a first floor install in my living room. (Blaze king, 8" double wall class A.) My options as far as venting are either a 90 at the stove and up 2-1/2 stories outside, or straight up through the ceiling and enclose in my son's bedroom. (Back corner of room). I understand the better choice is straight up and inside the home for better draft/performance. The chase will be about 2.5' x 1.5'. I'm not crazy about the idea of the enclosure in the room and was wondering if anyone has tied one into the homes decor for inspiration.

Attachments

• Julians room far.jpg
    Julians room far.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
I'm planning a first floor install in my living room. (Blaze king, 8" double wall class A.) My options as far as venting are either a 90 at the stove and up 2-1/2 stories outside, or straight up through the ceiling and enclose in my son's bedroom. (Back corner of room). I understand the better choice is straight up and inside the home for better draft/performance. The chase will be about 2.5' x 1.5'. I'm not crazy about the idea of the enclosure in the room and was wondering if anyone has tied one into the homes decor for inspiration.
A class-A chimney system must be enclosed in a chase in the living area. That is usually clearly spelled out in the manufacturer's instructions. The primary reason, other than because they say so, would be so that you don't put anything up against it and cause a fire.

I understand the need for a chase. Was just trying to see if anyone had worked them into they floor plan to make them less noticeable. Perhaps shelving or closet ect

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I understand the need for a chase. Was just trying to see if anyone had worked them into they floor plan to make them less noticeable. Perhaps shelving or closet ect

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Either idea is good. I like to go through an existing closet if possible as it usually requires less framing.

Found this picture. A closet is an idea but the room already has a big closet. Perhaps shelving across the wall.

Attachments

• 1-boxing.jpg
    1-boxing.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,497
Here is my same situation under construction. I am planning to put picture frames on each face of the chase. Each side protrudes into the room 31.5". I also considered placing 30" wide bookcases backed up to each side (90° to each other). cb84e35b092dd2a9cc6904a364754f07.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bumblebeetuna96