Second Stove for Home - Too large?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I don’t like how the f45 and f55 back has to be removed to clean flue if connected to top vent. Just observations no real experience. If jotul would say it’s ok to run with out top bolted down is a no. Issue. Probably a non issue rear vent to a T.
Just an anecdote - I didn't need to remove the back of the stove to clean the top as a top vent. I instead removed the top pipe and the top plate came off by reaching through the top opening.

Reactions: moresnow
Just an anecdote - I didn't need to remove the back of the stove to clean the top as a top vent. I instead removed the top pipe and the top plate came off by reaching through the top opening.
Yes, we don't know how the stove is going to be connected. If rear-vent then it should vent into a tee with a cleanout cap.

If one compares the fireboxes on these stoves and measures up the available cu in capacity then the difference between the F45 and F55 is quite apparent. They are both cast iron jacketed steel stoves. The F500v3 is an entirely different construction. It is a true cast iron stove with side door loading. What is the total anticipated area to be heated?

Yes, we don't know how the stove is going to be connected. If rear-vent then it should vent into a tee with a cleanout cap.

If one compares the fireboxes on these stoves and measures up the available cu in capacity then the difference between the F45 and F55 is quite apparent. They are both cast iron jacketed steel stoves. The F500v3 is an entirely different construction. It is a true cast iron stove with side door loading. What is the total anticipated area to be heated?
The house is ~3k sqft but I have the Heritage on the far side and it heats all but the family room well, the family room is where I'm considering this second stove

I can get a Jotul within 4-5 weeks. Can you provide some insight into why the F45, F500, and F55 are all so similar in dimension but with varying fire box size and BTU potential? Since these stoves all fit with short leg kits I'm torn on which to choose? My Heritage takes 21" logs so the F500 would be nice as all my splits would fit but the F45 being non-cat is a plus and the F55s huge BTU output potential is a plus as well...
F45 firebox 2.37, F55 2.76, F500 2.41. Not much difference in size but an 18” split in the F45 is absolute max, I’m more comfortable with 16”. You can get a 20” split E/W in the F55 and I believe the F500 can fit a 20”+. I would think the actual real world BTU output is similar for all 3 stoves since the firebox are so close. The EPA test can vary do to the testing methods used.