Secondary air feed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Delaware
Have been reading a few of the over fire topics. Got me curious. Where does the secondary air come from on osburn 2200 insert. What would I do if I had over fire. Aside from temp how would you tell anyway. Right now the air is off and the flames are kicking. I like it but is it wrong?
yny9ubez.jpg

That is fire with primary off. No leaks in gasket. I think it's running hot and nice.
zy9apupy.jpg

a7ane4ym.jpg

First temp pic is right under second fun. Where the air comes out. Second is on door. Honestly I can't ever find a great place to test an insert, that's

Not sure of the answer to your question. Nice looking insert though. I really wanted that one, but we went with flush. How is your heat output?

I think output is really good. I am working on airflow through the house. That's my only issue. This is first stove and I am glad I went with this model. Love the look and performance so far. I'm still experimenting with loading. I have had success with a few overnight burns, have also had some failures lol. The obsession kicks in quick when you buy a stove. Lol

Not sure on the 2200, on my 2000....pull the blower off and the secondary intake sits back about 8" from the front underneath of the firebox. Goes to the center of back wall

and up to the secondary. My secondary is not real wild with the air shut off...

Hi Sully.

You've probably seen a few of my posts in the Osburn Runaway? thread that's floating around. Through experimentation, I have found that the air control regulates the secondary air. The primary air inlet is not regulated. I'm not an expert, and this doesn't make much sense to me but, I've proved it out and stand by this finding...until I hear otherwise from an Osburn engineer.

Last edited:
Cygnus and I have been talking about this on the topic "Osburn runaway" , please feel free to join that conversation. I too was having runaway fires like you've pictured, but I am starting to get them under control!

Status
Not open for further replies.