SecureVent Slip Joint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iflypigs

Dec 5, 2015
Midwest
I am installing a direct vent gas fireplace. It uses a 4 1/2 x 7 1/2 SecureVent system. One of the SecureVent products is a slip joint I'm using on the horizontal run. The termination cap also uses a slip joint. I can not find any specs on how far into the adjoining pipe the slip piece needs to be. With the lengths I have, I'm only able to get about 1 1/4" overlap at the joints. Also, the slip joint has 3 holes near the end. I didn't think "B" vent was screwed together, but I'm assuming that's what the holes are for?

I'm going to have a professional run the gas line and install a LP conversion kit. At that time I'll have him check my work, but I don't want to be embarrassed by doing something really stupid.

What is the overlap of the non-slip joints? Is THAT at least 1-1/4"?
If it is, then the same measurement should work with the slip sections.
Use three screws to keep the sections from "slipping." You do NOT
want them to come apart or any reason. You are dealing with combustible
fuel byproducts on the exhaust side of DV pipe , & some of them are deadly.

Bob,

First, Thank You for what you do with PGR. I am a gold star dad of LCpl Phillip Vinnedge, KIA 10/13/2010 Afghanistan. I also ride with the guard. Our website honoring Phillip is www.fallenherosdreamride.org. I don't know if your chapter is near a Snowball Express airport (SYR or JFK maybe), but I would highly encourage you to participate in the send off next Saturday. I am a pilot coordinator for SBE and will be flying one of the charters. If you are not familiar with SBE you can check them out at www.snowballexpress.org. There is a forum on the PGR website dedicated to SBE.

Thanks for responding to my question. The twist lock joints only overlap about 1", so that makes sense that that would work for the slip joint as long as I take measures to ensure it won't slip, ie. screws.

Dave

Hi Dave. I ride with the Patriot Guard Riders because it is the RIGHT thing to do.
Unfortunately, next Saturday I will be at The Gerald BH Solomon Saratoga National Cemetery
placing wreaths on as many gravesites as we can with the Wreaths Across America Project & PGRNY.
I will look into SBE & see what you guys are about, tho, & see if & how PGRNY can get involved.
Thanks for the info.

Bob "DAKSY" Smith
Ride Captain PGRNY-5
[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.