Securing a truck load of logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
1614023938998.png

i just picked this up from the local logging yard for $60 Canadian. It's mostly ash with a few pieces of white birch.

Reactions: SpaceBus
that looks to be a deal.. this is better than the last one correct..
yup - last year i was hauling cords home with a trailer, and a couple of them were less than. i think if i can keep it up with these truck loads, and they stay at $60, i will come out ahead. just a lot of work doing it this way.

yup - last year i was hauling cords home with a trailer, and a couple of them were less than. i think if i can keep it up with these truck loads, and they stay at $60, i will come out ahead. just a lot of work doing it this way.

good for you.. glad to see u up your wood stash and doing it on the cheap.. its all a learning process..

Reactions: MissMac
1614129515582.png

here's today's $60 load (all ash) - not as much as yesterday's load, but i was much more comfortable driving with it on the road

and here's the 2 day total so far:
1614129564527.png

not sure that i've got a cord there, but i'm happy with the pile for $120. so far so good, and it's been pretty simple to unload the logs, as the truck is on a slight incline where i'm unloading them. i just put an old rope around as a choker and i can pull the majority of them off myself (all 120lbs of my 5'2" frame). so all in all, it's working pretty slick. just going to take some time to grow the pile, but time i've got! :)

good for you.. glad to see u up your wood stash and doing it on the cheap.. its all a learning process..
trying to hammer down and stay on track with my plan. i want to ideally get 6 cord to my place before the end of feb. i've got a guy coming to buck it all up for me for $325, then i will split it and stack it. it's the cheapest, quickest way for me to get some wood processed in the state that i'm in. my shoulder's are pretty unhappy these days, and as much as it pains me to pay someone to buck (or even buy wood for that matter), it's what i need to do right now for my health and to stay burning. expecting a call for shoulder surgery this spring (April?) so want to have it all laid up and drying before that happens.

Seeing those logs on the ground I'm guessing that your truck was really pushing the limit. Based on my research half ton trucks can carry about 2,400 lbs max payload with the right truck configuration, but that is a short cab long bed truck. A cord of unseasoned Ash can weigh 4,000 lbs. My one ton dually would notice 4,000 lbs in the bed, I'm sure it was pretty spooky with the half ton.

Here is a good source for wood weights.

Seeing those logs on the ground I'm guessing that your truck was really pushing the limit. Based on my research half ton trucks can carry about 2,400 lbs max payload with the right truck configuration, but that is a short cab long bed truck. A cord of unseasoned Ash can weigh 4,000 lbs. My one ton dually would notice 4,000 lbs in the bed, I'm sure it was pretty spooky with the half ton.

Here is a good source for wood weights.
I'm pretty confident I was within the payload for my truck, but it was definitely the heaviest loads i've carried. The guys at the mill were calling that 1/3 of a cord, but i think it was somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 cord. Ash is definitely the heaviest wood up my way, and i'm super excited to get some of it finally, as it's hard to come by here. Even with the ash, I bulk out before i weigh out in my truck. I don't really care for the logs to be piled much higher than the box - makes me uneasy even with everything tied down.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I'm pretty confident I was within the payload for my truck, but it was definitely the heaviest loads i've carried. The guys at the mill were calling that 1/3 of a cord, but i think it was somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 cord. Ash is definitely the heaviest wood up my way, and i'm super excited to get some of it finally, as it's hard to come by here. Even with the ash, I bulk out before i weigh out in my truck. I don't really care for the logs to be piled much higher than the box - makes me uneasy even with everything tied down.

I wouldn't worry to much.. WE ALL have over loaded our trucks at some point.. It is what it is sometimes.. Trucks are made for work/halling..