Sedore issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Geralyn

Dec 15, 2017
NJ
IS ANYONE ELSE HAVING SEDORE PROBLEMS? No one EVER complains about the Sedore, so I don't know if I am alone in this, or if no one is saying anything. I bought mine around 2013, and installed it 2014. I LOVE it, but it has had some issues that the manufacturer hasn't addressed.

1) To start with, we can't get the gasket to stay on. We initially bought the stove with a cooking lid. I used Bruce's (the owner of the company) specific silicone gasket glue, and it still falls off the back edge of the lid, usually within 3 weeks. I've prepped and reprepped the lid, grinded it smooth-clean, tried different ways of attaching it with varying amounts of silicone glue, used different glues. It won't stay on. I bought a new lid, the diamond plate lid, thinking maybe the dents in ours were causing the problem, but it happened with the new lid too. I think Bruce got tired of hearing from me about this.

I brought the first (dented, cooking) lid to a metal fabrication friend to straighten it out. He said to me, "This stove must get way too hot in the back, I'm not surprised the gasket won't stay on". The same thing happened with the gasket on the corrected lid.

2) I started the season this year with the stove, and it worked fine at first, but then started running oddly, like it could not get enough air. We opened it up and cleaned it out completely, and we found quite a mess inside the stove, something we'd not seen before. The back wall of the fire box, which seemed to be made of a thick tin layer, was completely eroded near the bottom, and the lower grate that attached to it had basically come loose from the damaged back wall. I posted a pic below , I wish I'd taken a pic of how much of the back wall was completely eroded once the lower plate was removed. It was frightening. The floor and the outer walls were solid, but the back wall of the firebox was destroyed. We have only been using this stove 3 years, and we've never burned anything in it except wood and occasionally some used cooking oil. I tried to contact Sedore about this, and I sent this picture, but I did not hear back.

We brought the entire stove to our metal fabrication friend, who repaired it beautifully for a very reasonable price, $200. If there is anyone out there interested to see his repair, please reply and I will post pics & details. He thinks his repairs might help the gasket issue, but if not, he's going to make another modification for us that should protect the back of lid from some of the heat.

SEDORE OWNERS, INSPECT YOUR FIREBOX and please post your Sedore issues, I CAN'T be the only one. See my firebox pic.
stove1.JPG stove2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
IS ANYONE ELSE HAVING SEDORE PROBLEMS? No one EVER complains about the Sedore, so I don't know if I am alone in this, or if no one is saying anything. I bought mine around 2013, and installed it 2014. I LOVE it, but it has had some issues that the manufacturer hasn't addressed.

1) To start with, we can't get the gasket to stay on. We initially bought the stove with a cooking lid. I used Bruce's (the owner of the company) specific silicone gasket glue, and it still falls off the back edge of the lid, usually within 3 weeks. I've prepped and reprepped the lid, grinded it smooth-clean, tried different ways of attaching it with varying amounts of silicone glue, used different glues. It won't stay on. I bought a new lid, the diamond plate lid, thinking maybe the dents in ours were causing the problem, but it happened with the new lid too. I think Bruce got tired of hearing from me about this.

I brought the first (dented, cooking) lid to a metal fabrication friend to straighten it out. He said to me, "This stove must get way too hot in the back, I'm not surprised the gasket won't stay on". The same thing happened with the gasket on the corrected lid.

2) I started the season this year with the stove, and it worked fine at first, but then started running oddly, like it could not get enough air. We opened it up and cleaned it out completely, and we found quite a mess inside the stove, something we'd not seen before. The back wall of the fire box, which seemed to be made of a thick tin layer, was completely eroded near the bottom, and the lower grate that attached to it had basically come loose from the damaged back wall. I posted a pic below , I wish I'd taken a pic of how much of the back wall was completely eroded once the lower plate was removed. It was frightening. The floor and the outer walls were solid, but the back wall of the firebox was destroyed. We have only been using this stove 3 years, and we've never burned anything in it except wood and occasionally some used cooking oil. I tried to contact Sedore about this, and I sent this picture, but I did not hear back.

We brought the entire stove to our metal fabrication friend, who repaired it beautifully for a very reasonable price, $200. If there is anyone out there interested to see his repair, please reply and I will post pics & details. He thinks his repairs might help the gasket issue, but if not, he's going to make another modification for us that should protect the back of lid from some of the heat.

SEDORE OWNERS, INSPECT YOUR FIREBOX and please post your Sedore issues, I CAN'T be the only one. See my firebox pic. View attachment 217994

Geralyn, you probably should start a new post for this but 2 things for sure. You need stove gasket cement for gaskets, nothing else will take the heat. On the cooking oil, if mentioned to the manufacturer, I am sure you are voiding the warranty. I have no idea about the corrosive properties of that but it could also just be causing way to much temperature. I'd have the pipe/flu inspected too if the inside of the stove looked like that. DO you have a stove top thermometer?

Yes, we have the pipe cleaned and inspected every year. I DID try gasket cement, 3 different kinds, as well as the silicone gasket cement he recommended/uses. The gasket still keeps falling off the back of the lid, just the back. The stove is marketed as a a multifuel stove, but I have used nothing but wood with the occasional 1/2 soup can of leftover bacon grease. No, I am not worried about the warranty, or I would not have purchased a stove from a small manufacturer in MN with no local service here in NJ, nor would I have taken it myself to a metal fabricator for repair. Yes, we do have a stovetop and a pipe thermometer, and we burn it in optimal range.

MIND YOU, I LOVE my Sedore, it stands alone for size and output. I just want to know if there is anyone out there who has had issues like this. I am excited to get the stove back and working again, our metal fabricator did a gorgeous job of repairing the back wall.

Last edited:
Moved to new thread.

Bacon grease or other accelerant does not belong in a wood stove.

Old thread and I see the OP hasn't been back here in 4 years, but I'll give it a whirl -

I would be curious about the supposed "repairs" on the stove and how this has served the last few years. I stumbled across Sedore stoves looking at multi-fuel/biomass burners and these immediately stood out to me - very unique stoves!

They seemed to me an updated version of the Tempwood stoves.