Seeking information on rebuilding early 80's Hearthstone II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andme3

Sep 2, 2014
central Il.
Ref: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/hearthstone-ii-rebuild-need-help.7038/
I'm in the process of rebuilding a Hearthstone II and found the above thread to be very helpful, but I would appreciate clarification on a couple of questions. I see where the top section of the stove is fastened on by 2 screws on the top of each corner casting but I would like to remove the 3-stones first to reduce the weight of the top. I read where the stones can be removed easily but exactly how do I go about doing this? 1. Are the stones just held in place by furnace cement? 2. Can I pry them up with a wood wedge? I assume the stones have to be removed sometime to get access to the baffle bolts. I've procured a replacement cast iron baffle and intend to fabricate the flat end and lower back plates out of 1/4" steel, as suggested, in the prior thread. Thanks so much for any help yo can offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.