Seeking pellet sifting suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi, my issue isn't that they don't burn, it's that there can be a bag or more that don't go down into the augur and the stove just stops because it's not getting any pellets, so I guess a shifter might be worth making?

They do burn, but it also fills up the burn pot which causes it to not burn well and needs to be turned off and cleaned after about 4-8 bags of pellets - Englander 25PAH Stove

had same problem with softies..EZBlaze, Matra...
would keep dumping bags in after half full hopper or less and the fines would keep accumulating at the bottom slide plate eventually stopping pellets from dropping. basically I would never see the bottom of the hopper...
as far as sifting, i have this thing about not picking up 40lb bags more than have to..
to unload and stack 50 bags for storage once is enough for me.. soooooo, what i do now is when around half full hopper or less, I Reach in and kinda move or stir the pellets up all the way to slideplate which spreads out the fines so they dont pile up on top of it.
this works because someone is always home thruout the day to do this periodically.
would imagine that if it was done in the morning before work for some or before bed at nite this would help keep that mound of sawdust from building up onto of the slideplate eventually blocking pellets from dropping in..
anyways, that's my semi fix which btw only seems to happen with certain top softwoods... except Douglas Firs..

Thank you, that's an option. Are you saying that Douglas Firs don't seem to do this as much / bad?

Thank you, that's an option. Are you saying that Douglas Firs don't seem to do this as much / bad?
No.. Not at all... barely any ash and no fines in the bag..... 9K BTU but prob the priciest pellets on the market[ if you live in the East ] as they are made and shipped from Pacific Northwest..Oregon.

A few years ago some members here designed
and made a unit to remove dust and fines from pellets
try a search maybe you can find it.
I use Cubex Hardwood pellets and they have very few fines
but then my Envrio is not picky about what it burns

You can make a cleaning system out of pvc pipe, bucket, and a shop vac. kap