Seeking wood burning insert recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rasputin

Dec 3, 2019
Madison, WI
I'd like to get a nice wood burning insert for my large and old fireplace. I like what I see on this site - https://www.acucraft.com/products/ - but curious about what other options exist, particularly closer to home. (Madison, WI)

Its important to me to fit the style of the home, hence the reason why I've overlooked off the shelf options.

I've included a pic of my fireplace below. The firebox is about 4 feet wide.

IMG_4946.jpg

The Accucraft site is showing complete fireplaces. To install one would mean replacing what is there completely. I don't think that is what you want to do. An insert with a custom surround is one option if the goal is to keep the current arch. Another might be to put in a freestanding stove if there is room.

What is the height of the fireplace in the center? Height at the opening at the beginning of the arch? How deep is the fireplace?

Have you contacted any of the local places yet? Top Hat in Baraboo.....Shields in Madison and Baraboo. Focal Point in Baraboo.

the firebox is 48" wide, 20" deep, and the arch ranges from 24" to 36" tall.

>An insert with a custom surround is one option if the goal is to keep the current arch. Another might be to put in a freestanding stove if there is room.

Definitely not interested in a freestanding stove. Nor am I interested in a smaller insert with a custom surround, at least if its going to look like what it sounds like.

Yes, its possible that what I'm hoping to find would require a considerable rebuild of the chimney / fireplace although I'm hoping not.

Sounds like you are looking more for form over function. Completely the opposite of how I think. Are you an architect by chance? ==c ;lol :p

So I was browsing inserts yesterday and liked how the arched door Lopi inserts look. If you can get one to fit in the opening then you just need to have a custom surround cut out of steel and painted that fits the insert and your existing stone arch. Take a look at these to see if you like the design.
Evan

PS. i do think a shorter freestanding stove on a glass hearth pad could look really good not sure how flat the floor must be to use the glass though

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums !!

I've been to Madison / Portage / Endeavor in January. When it was -20F with the wind chill, the entire week I was there. Vetted a filly on the ice, and she passed :)

I'd be looking for the biggest firebox I could fit in / out of that lovely fireplace :)

Inside or outside flue?

That is a large area for a surround to cover and it would be a shame to lose the arch.

If the area where the fireplace is open to the rest of the house, then go with a large, 3 cu ft insert and full 6"r insulated liner. With that beautiful arch I would also consider a custom, inset surround. This surround would be slightly recessed and fit within the arch, preserving the look. Or an insert could be installed with no surround. That is not a terrible look with the right insert.
I believe its an outside flue. My house was built in 1927.
It would be good to install the insert with a block off plate to help it to better warm the house instead of the mass of masonry above it.

@begreen Sounds like you understand the challenges - do you have any pics to illustrate those ideas?
This is an old thread on the topic with some examples of custom surrounds in arched openings.

This is not a great picture but gives an example of an insert without the surround.
aaa.jpg

Now youre coming around;) We also have a large arched fireplace and decided to install a free standing stove that sits a little bit inside the fireplace and outside on the hearth. We really like the look. Leaving the fireplace open, no surround, makes the room look larger and much more interesting. Personal tastes of course....

Reactions: Dix
I made a similar choice. Stove height was a major factor that limited my choices. I need a fan sitting behind my stove otherwise it gets too hot when I run it hard. How will the liner connection look above the stovetop. Stainless flex liner or insulation wrap are not the prettiest sights. Check out the PE stove line. I think they are a nice simple modern take on the classic wood stove. https://www.pacificenergy.net/products/wood/

Happy stove hunting.

evan

Attachments

• 5FDC88A8-D96B-4B99-A0C4-FAA1686875BC.jpeg
    5FDC88A8-D96B-4B99-A0C4-FAA1686875BC.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 147