Seemed Like A Touch Of You Guys' Real Winter Around Here Last Night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
14 degrees night before last and 11 last night. This semi-tropical locality seemed like one of those places where you folks have real winters! Loaded the 30 at nine last night and woke up at seven o'clock to 73 down stairs, 69 upstairs in the bedrooms and 11 degrees outside so I guess I can live with it.

Come on Spring!

We've been in the single digits for the last 4 or 5 days and had a couple days with 30-40 mph winds that's 20-30deg. below zero windchill. Not as bad as some but it's chilly out.

3 days of 16 or 17 deg and sunday it was windy to boot. then last night it went down to 2 deg above. I was going to heat only with wood this winter but I got so sick of going from the kitchen 69 deg to the living room 42 deg or any other room for that matter.

even my bed room with the door open to the kitchen was only 62 deg. and that with an electric heater going in the bedroom, too.

I tried it with just the electric heater & the door closed & i got 58 deg for my efforts.

So, I ran the oil of a hour at 6 am & got the whole house up to 70!

What a joy to be able to walk from room to room without the hot/cold thing.

I used up a couple of gal of fuel oil left over from 2007, so I should order some for 2008 as I am sure the tank must be close to dead empty.

The woodsman of the great white north is fun to talk about but not fun to be stuck with in single digits & an uninsulated 3000 sq ft house with 2 warm rooms & 8 -- 40 deg rooms.

Sometimes , a smaller house is better.

Not to mention, I been burning wood like a mad man, stuffing the stove on every burn & still having 8 cold rooms.

At this rate, if these single digit temps persist, I will run out of wood before march.

I got my eye on a few trees in the back yard if that happens. I dont like burning green wood
but if that is all I can get, well................ I still got 3 cords of seasoned wood left.
and 1 ton of pellets.

Stove has been keepin' up at my place OK, even with the cold. No snow yet here in central ohio (except for a dusting). I'm starting to get a little nervous about the state of the wood pile. It may be a photo finish this spring! If this weather keeps up, I may be burning propane by the end of march.

-SF

Smoke_Stick said:
We've been in the single digits for the last 4 or 5 days and had a couple days with 30-40 mph winds that's 20-30deg. below zero windchill. Not as bad as some but it's chilly out.

Yeah...and the darn snow won't stop.
Heh, lately when we or somebody else gets obnoxious weather I wonder how the people up in the Yukon function...there's a fella that posts here, Northof60 I think, that posts some uninhabitable temps (as far as i'm concerned).

Gimme 2 months of May, 8months of July and 2 moths of October then start over....hmmph!.

I guess Al Gore finally caught up with Mrs. Hughes--she was the cause of global warming, y'know. :)

Folks 'round here have been wondering where the global warming has gone. We've been down in the low teens for lows for the past 'bout two weeks and highs in the mid to high 20s. I ain't complainin' even though I don't have a stove . . . yet. My trees need those chilling hours. Sposed to get a bit warmer before the next front.

Y'all try to stay warm up in th' cold country.

Texas boy said:
Y'all try to stay warm up in th' cold country.

Sounds like the "cold country" includes the Rio Grande area :p

Allz I know is if I was that close to the equator and it was that cold....i'd be downright pi$$ed off. Oh, and I would be running my woodstove!!!

Come on up and enjoy some of the cold stuff BroB. 2 days ago my nearest town had -12 for a low with a wind chill of -38. Thats some kind of cold. As long as I could feed it, the Old Isle Royal kept up, but if I turned my back on it for any time, the house temp would start to drop. Furnace came on during the night (I don't get up to feed the fire).

Come on up. When you get back home, it will feel like a heat wave. :lol:

Jags said:

Not me brother! At least my family isn't doing the usual "Well, you need to move back to Texas." bit. They have the same temps right now that we do.

Looks like Ohio will get a heat wave after today. I can't imagine if every day were this cold. I wait to take out the trash or open the doors here for any reason unless I go out to load the stove or go to work.

So I had this bright idea to go get some Kerosene to help heat my garage and in case of a power out. Geeze! Freekin still $3.50 gal!!?? Cmon man. Guess I'll throw on another log...

It's the wind that makes it hard to keep it warm in this house. Just cold temps are not a problem. Wind chill of -15 yesterday morning, just mid-20s today and 50 by the weekend. I kept shoveling armfuls of wood in the stove trying to keep up with the windchill. Today at 22, I have not had a fire since 5am and its still 70 in here.

Oh - and the dang christmas tree is disrupting my air flow thru the house. (its a small house)

BrotherBart said:
Jags said:

Not me brother! At least my family isn't doing the usual "Well, you need to move back to Texas." bit. They have the same temps right now that we do.

Now Bart, you know that that's pretty unusual AND we don't have anywhere near the hunidity y'all have up there, at least not ouchere in West Texas. Besides, it's all the way up to 46 here at noon, (with wind chill in the 20s somewhere). We're supposed to have 35 to 45 sustained today with 60 in gusts--SO we're gonna have blowin' dirt and all those damn tumbleweeds stacked up and caught everywhere and in everything. Aren't you jealous? :-(

Texas boy said:
We're supposed to have 35 to 45 sustained today with 60 in gusts--SO we're gonna have blowin' dirt and all those damn tumbleweeds stacked up and caught everywhere and in everything. Aren't you jealous? :-(

I have always said that whoever named Chicago the Windy City never lived in Lubbock, Texas. :lol:

Chicago is the windy city for political reasons, rather than meteorological, but I have had my share of slush blown in my face there only to have the wind shift directions to blow it in my face on the walk back.

Adios Pantalones said:
Chicago is the windy city for political reasons, rather than meteorological, but I have had my share of slush blown in my face there only to have the wind shift directions to blow it in my face on the walk back.

All sorts of interesting things can happen to ya down on Rush Street. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Texas boy said:
We're supposed to have 35 to 45 sustained today with 60 in gusts--SO we're gonna have blowin' dirt and all those damn tumbleweeds stacked up and caught everywhere and in everything. Aren't you jealous? :-(

I have always said that whoever named Chicago the Windy City never lived in Lubbock, Texas. :lol:

THAT is the voice of experience!

BrotherBart said:
Adios Pantalones said:

OK- I actually LOL at that :)

Adios Pantalones said:
BrotherBart said:
Adios Pantalones said:

OK- I actually LOL at that :)

Very interesting things. :red:

Yeah, I'm already getting tired of winter and it just started. Maybe I need a new stove to help my cabin fever?

Todd said:
Yeah, I'm already getting tired of winter and it just started. Maybe I need a new stove to help my cabin fever?

I think you and me need to start picking out two stoves and swapping with each other ever other year. ;-P

Temps up above 20F from 3F this morning. Fixin' to go out & move some snow around. Oh, do I remember Rush Street. Don't ever need to go back though. Rick

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 227
Rick, that things is just so darn........cute. Bet it can move some snow with that extra weight hanging off the back end.

Status
Not open for further replies.