Self install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marmot

Aug 31, 2009
central Minnesota
Another newb here trying to squeeze a few tax credit dollars out of the Dems.

This week a stove dealer is supposed to contact me to come out to measure my fireplace opening. I currently have a traditional fireplace (Menard's special) and want to upgrade to a new higher efficiency wood insert. The dealer sells Lopi and Avalon. These seem to be fine stoves and I haven't seen these brands bashed on this forum.

My house is 1000 sq ft with a closed floor plan. I have an inkling that my current fireplace surround will only accommodate the Lopi Answer or the Avalon Pendleton (I think my hearth depth is to shallow). After reading several topics on this forum, I believe I am better off with the Lopi Revere or Avalon Rainier since they are mid-sized stoves whereas the Answer and Pendleton are small-sized stoves. Do note that I have temps down to -40*F every few winters. Last winer we had many nights colder than -20*F with a few nights in the -30*F. I do have a half arsed forced air furnace, but like to minimize its use to keep more of my money in my pocket.

A goal of this project is to part with as little money as possible within reason so I am hoping to do a self install.

It seems the flue retrofit is a straight forward two person job. I saw a YouTube video, so I think I can handle this task.

I am assuming the prep work for the actual fireplace is to find all the little screws to remove the current fireplace "front" (doors, metal surround, fan, etc). Is this a correct statement?

The damper part has me a little concerned. I have read some topics about altering the existing damper. The damper on my fireplace is either fully opened or fully closed. I also think there is a round metal bar running horizontally by the damper. My reading on installation seems to suggest the existing damper stays. Again, is this a correct statement? I will see if I have enough light to get a picture of my current damper.

Next is hooking the newly installed flue liner to the new stove insert. Finally, slide the stove insert into place.

What am I missing? Any links to a comprehensive install tutorial? YouTube installation video?

I am sure I will have many questions after the dealer measures my opening and if I decide to take on the install as a weekend project.

I installed my insert myself. Wasn't to bad of a project. My damper was pretty easy to remove. The part of the damper that opened and closed came out by just removing a bolt that was attached to arm that holds the damper open. Then the damper just lifted out. I didn't want to do any cutting because I wanted to be able to put it back together if I ever move and want to take my insert with me. I found plans on this site no how to build the block off plate . Here is the link to the directions. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/making_a_block_off_plate/. With help from my brother in law we here able to get it all done in about 4 hours. He's not the most machanical person so I had to do a lot of going up and down the roof when we were putting the chimney liner in. My chimney runs up the middle of my house so I didn't have to insulate the chimney liner. I attached a thin rope to the end of the liner so that my brother in law was able to pull on the liner while I was feeding it down the chimney. Getting the liner through the damper opening wasn't that bad either. The opening was 6" and the liner was 6". Had to pull a little but not much. Hind sight, I should of just made the end of the liner a little oval shaped and it would of then just pasted right through. Then just attached it to the insert (some times easier said then done) and attached the chimney cap and seal it to the chimney up top. Every thing that I needed came with my chimney liner kit. Over all the install just takes time, research, and muscles. I say if you are handy with tools and know what you can and can not do, go for it. Just don't cut any corners and if you are not sure about something, ask. All of the fire place stores except one that I visited while I was looking for my insert was fine with me installing it and they all said if you have any questions just give us a call and we will walk you through it. Remember if you don't install it correctly it could mean your life.

I have the dealer coming to my place on September 9 to measure. I know the hearth is going to screw me from getting a mid-sized insert. Certainly the hearth can be enlarged, but that would be a lot of work.

My hearth is faced with 13" tile and extends out about 16". I don't have any matching tile. The fireplace surround has the same tile on the wall. That too would need to be removed if I rebuild the hearth so all the new stone/tile matches. I have laminate flooring in the family room with the fireplace. I am not going to pull up the laminate "boards" to build a new hearth and I don't think building a new hearth over the laminate is the best idea. I still might build a new hearth over the laminate though.

Ugh.....

Status
Not open for further replies.