Selkirk Metalbestos install help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sardo_67

Sep 19, 2017
mid CT
i picked up some 8" chimney sections, they are Selkirk Metalbestos stainless class A piping, i have some straight sections and a T with plug, nothing else.

i put one section thru my foundation wall to the basement and now i need to make a support bracket for the T and then stack that goes up the side of my house.

if i make a bracket with angle iron then bolt the the foundation what anchor plate should i use, this one shown here?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKO0IS/?tag=hearthamazon-20

41IBD4xiSSL.jpg

the T i have is shown here
https://www.northlineexpress.com/8-selkirk-stainless-insulated-tee-with-tee-plug-8t-it-18745.html

am i over thinking this or am i on the right track? i will post the actual pictures of the stuff that i have after i get out of work. i made a pic showing where it will end up that i attached

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
i picked up some 8" chimney sections, they are Selkirk Metalbestos stainless class A piping, i have some straight sections and a T with plug, nothing else.

i put one section thru my foundation wall to the basement and now i need to make a support bracket for the T and then stack that goes up the side of my house.

if i make a bracket with angle iron then bolt the the foundation what anchor plate should i use, this one shown here?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKO0IS/?tag=hearthamazon-20

View attachment 230263

the T i have is shown here
https://www.northlineexpress.com/8-selkirk-stainless-insulated-tee-with-tee-plug-8t-it-18745.html

am i over thinking this or am i on the right track? i will post the actual pictures of the stuff that i have after i get out of work. i made a pic showing where it will end up that i attached
Buy the correct components. Dont try to reinvent the wheel all of the stuff you need is available. And if you dont use the right stuff it wont meet code and shouldnt pass any inspection.

The bottom of the tee should be capped to seal and for cleanout. Selkirk makes a support bracket and wall bands.
Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 4.46.18 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 4.46.32 PM.png

The bottom of the tee should be capped to seal and for cleanout. Selkirk makes a support bracket and wall bands.
View attachment 230266 View attachment 230267

yes it has that, i am putting the T below ground level in a window well since my house is poorly designed.

i was under the impression that the outer section of the T had to lock into the anchor plate then the plug goes into the center 8" pipe so i can clean it out as needed.

No need. The anchor plate shown is for attachment to a masonry structure to transition from masonry to metal chimney. Here are instructions for using the wall bracket.

Attachments

• S5 TeeWSKElbows IR.pdf
    107.6 KB · Views: 120
No need. The anchor plate shown is for attachment to a masonry structure to transition from masonry to metal chimney. Here are instructions for using the wall bracket.

ok thank you, my issue is the limited ground clearance so unless i dig a hole 2ft deep i can't use the braces that go under the T.

if i grab this and then run the angle iron pieces up would that be an issue?
$_35.jpg
]

The Type HT Wall Support Kit has been tested for use fully enclosed and has been designed in 5", 6", 7" and 8" sizes to carry up to 60' of height.
They have one for larger sizes also , 10", 12" and 14", and will support 40' of chimney.
The Wall Support is intended for use with the Insulated Tee as an interior or exterior support where the chimney has a lateral connection. It is also useful where the pipe connection passes through a combustible interior or exterior wall. Braces may be fastened to the wall either above or below the plate for chimneys which penetrate through the wall.