Selkirk Sure-Temp Chimney Pipe - Any Reviews?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DBoon

Minister of Fire
Jan 14, 2009
Central NY
I'm considering Selkirk Sure-Temp HT chimney pipe for a new catalytic wood stove. It's about a 26' run of pipe straight up. I like the lock together pipe and built-in insulation, which is why I am considering that versus some other type of solution.

I've seen the various threads on SuperVent vs. UltraTemp, etc. I haven't seen many comments on the Sure-Temp HT. I've seen on-line that it is 430 stainless inside and out. How durable would that be compared to a pipe that has 304 stainless on the inside? Aside from materials, it looks the same as the other Selkirk locking pipes.

My local retailer stocks the Sure-Vent and the price is pretty competitive.

I'm not considering SuperVent - I don't want the hassles of trying to get all of the parts I need to go with the pipe to save a few bucks. I do realize that is a better pipe than the Sure-Vent. The question is whether the Sure-Vent is something that is not going to last burning 3 cords a year or so of wood.

Ya know, their pipe is manufactured about 600 feet from our office. I've passed them so many times. I wonder if they would ever give a tour of their manufacturing.

Ya know, their pipe is manufactured about 600 feet from our office. I've passed them so many times. I wonder if they would ever give a tour of their manufacturing.
Worth asking about.

I would not recomend a chimney with a 430 inner liner

I've read elsewhere on Hearth.com that the SuperPro and SuperVent (Lowes) can interchange parts. If that is the case, I might get the SuperVent pipe at Lower and the rest of the components on-line. Can anyone confirm that that is the case?

I would not recomend a chimney with a 430 inner liner

Hi bholler, thanks very much for your reply - I was hoping a chimney pro would chime in, and I was expecting the answer you gave, and it was re-assuring to get it.