selkirk vs excell chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

minesmoria

Hearth Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
I nedd 20 feet of either selkirk or excell 6" chimney i was looking at the selkirk as ot has 2" of fill vs the ceramic blanket 1" excell
Plus 2" would give better fire protectio than 1" like excell.

Both are 304 stainless why dont the make them 316?

I have Selkirk, but that was mostly because the dealer who was trying to sell me Excel was quoting some ridiculous price. The local hardware store had Selkirk, and it was reasonable. Excel is nothing to sneeze at, I'm pretty sure that 1" thick is just as good as the 2" of other brands.

One thing I will say, I liked the way the Excel lengths connected to each other - twist lock I think. The Selkirk uses "locking bands," plus the inside liner overlaps an inch or two. I only have three lengths... I think I would worry (my neurotic mind would anyway) about any unsupported run of chimney held together only with locking bands.

I believe the ends are closed on the Excel, meaning water infiltration is impossible. With the Selkirk I have, each length is open - you can see the insulation right there, and under certain circumstances water might get in. But I've read that open ended means that your chimney is all one unit - so heat from a hotspot in one area might get dissapated.

I sell and install Excel’s ICC pipe and have sold and still have to install on Remodel and Repairs Selkerk/Metelbestos also.

One of the reasons ICC has only 1” of material is because the Ends are not capped over with Steel like the other Packed pipes. The insulation is exposed allowing the heat to transfer to each pipe section without interruption.

The joints are NOT twist lock. Male and Female ends they just go together and you put 3 supplied SS screws in each joint.

The cap is much nicer also slip in and 3 brackets that screw to the side of the pipe
To clean you loosen 3 thumb screws at the top of the cap to take apart.

Much lighter also and comes in 6’, 12”, 18”, 18” adjustable, 24” and 48” lengths.
You can get it in a Gavalume outer shell that can be painted or a SS shell.

minesmoria said:
I nedd 20 feet of either selkirk or excell 6" chimney i was looking at the selkirk as ot has 2" of fill vs the ceramic blanket 1" excell
Plus 2" would give better fire protectio than 1" like excell.

Both are 304 stainless why dont the make them 316?

Excel is known as a premium brand....I sold Selkirk for over a decade and had almost no problems with it. You can't go wrong either way - I would not use the measure of insulation, but rather the price, ease of installation, etc.

304 is fine, in fact it is better than many brands that use 400 series.....unless you are burning coal, in which case you will want to dig up something with 316 liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.