Selling my alderlea T5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Larch

Nov 13, 2021
BC
Last spring I upgraded my stove for one with longer burn times because now that the kids are grown up and my wife decided to go back to work 8 hour burns during the coldest days of winter don't cut it anymore
I was keeping the alderlea T5 for a spare just in case but now that I have confidence in my new stove I'm going to sell it. It's about 10 years old and is in good condition, I kept up on the general maintenance and even replaced the baffle a couple years back. Just curious to what the approximate value of a used pacific energy alderlea T5 is worth.
Thanks

Last spring I upgraded my stove for one with longer burn times because now that the kids are grown up and my wife decided to go back to work 8 hour burns during the coldest days of winter don't cut it anymore
I was keeping the alderlea T5 for a spare just in case but now that I have confidence in my new stove I'm going to sell it. It's about 10 years old and is in good condition, I kept up on the general maintenance and even replaced the baffle a couple years back. Just curious to what the approximate value of a used pacific energy alderlea T5 is worth.
Thanks
There is to much variability from market to market. But here most 10 year old stoves will top out at $1000 but most less than that.

Reactions: Larch
Originally the dealer talked me into the bk sirocco 30.2 and it had great burn times at normal temps but in the coldest part of winter could not keep up as much as I wanted or needed(refills about7-8 hours during coldest days), at the coldest temperature the T5 was slightly better(had to almost be filled twice as often though)
Then the dealer traded for the king and it was definitely what I needed and should have has to begin with. My chimney was 7 inch from original stove(before the alderlea) and was expecting to have to upgrade to the 8 inch but 2 months of burning wood with zero problems I'll try another winter

The Alderlea T5 is super popular and commands a premium. The selling price will depend on the stove's age, condition, and time of sale. 10 yrs. is not a lot of time on this stove if well treated. What condition is the baffle in? Front glass clear or hazed? Have the door gasket and baffle side insulation blanket been replaced? What shape are the firebricks in? If you can wait until Sept. or Oct., in primo condition it may sell for as much as $2000 cdn, in average condition about $1500 cdn.

The Alderlea T5 is super popular and commands a premium. The selling price will depend on the stove's age, condition, and time of sale. 10 yrs. is not a lot of time on this stove if well treated. What condition is the baffle in? Front glass clear or hazed? Have the door gasket and baffle side insulation blanket been replaced? What shape are the firebricks in? If you can wait until Sept. or Oct., in primo condition it may sell for as much as $2000 cdn, in average condition about $1500 cdn.
The glass when clean is difficult to tell its even there its so clear, the baffle and insulation are only a couple years old so in good condition(my wife tried to put one to many pieces in it a few years back and when it wouldn't fit forced it, lol). Exterior is in good condition, left it in my basement to make sure it stayed that way. Thinking back actual stove age would be between 11and 12years. I always liked the new look so would stove black it every few years, it's probably due now to get it looking like new again.
Thanks for the replies

The glass when clean is difficult to tell its even there its so clear, the baffle and insulation are only a couple years old so in good condition(my wife tried to put one to many pieces in it a few years back and when it wouldn't fit forced it, lol). Exterior is in good condition, left it in my basement to make sure it stayed that way. Thinking back actual stove age would be between 11and 12years. I always liked the new look so would stove black it every few years, it's probably due now to get it looking like new again.
Thanks for the replies
Sounds like it's in great shape and well maintained so it could probably go for more than I said earlier. If someone knows what they are looking at and you used stove black not paint that will hurt the value though. Fortunately for you most people won't know the difference

Thanks for the replies
Can you post some pictures of the stove and the interior? The stove black is the only mistake made. The cast iron on the T5 is painted, but the stove black will make it very hard to repaint again. PE uses Stove Brite metallic black paint on the Alderleas.

Reactions: bholler
Can you post some pictures of the stove and the interior? The stove black is the only mistake made. The cast iron on the T5 is painted, but the stove black will make it very hard to repaint again. PE uses Stove Brite metallic black paint on the Alderleas.
The chimney sweep at the blaze king shop last year told me not to use the stove black ever, I didn't know, the Pacific energy dealer where I bought the alderlea sold me the stove black, go figure. I'll try to post pics tomorrow.
Thanks

If I was looking to buy a t5, the stove blacknissue would probably make me skip your stove. Might want to keep that to yourself.

How often do you need to load the king to do the same job the t5 was doing? Probably nice to have the steadier output too.

All of your stoves were good choices.

If I was looking to buy a t5, the stove blacknissue would probably make me skip your stove. Might want to keep that to yourself.

How often do you need to load the king to do the same job the t5 was doing? Probably nice to have the steadier output too.

All of your stoves were good choices.
The t5 was 3 times a day to keep running without constant relighting at a minimum. Not 100% sure about the king because it only went in for the last 2 months of the winter, wanted to see how my chimney setup worked in case I needed to upgrade to the 8. We did get some -10 to -12°c and they were 24 hour burns, which should be perfect for me because of my work schedule I need 13-16 hour day time burns minimum.
I still have to dig out the t5 and take pictures. I wonder if it's worth me trying to remove stove black and properly paint it for a project. Or just sell as is, it is a nice looking stove.

Just sell as is. The potential exists to spend lots of time and money to make it much uglier. Most buyers won’t notice or be bothered by it. It’s not ruined, you followed the dealer’s advice and it looks good.

I also was loading a noncat multiple times per day before switching to a cat stove that I only load once per day. Same home, much more comfortable. I believe it will be very easy for you to get your 13-16 hour burns while staying warm and it will be just a matter of chucking in logs once a day to top it off.

The king is obviously less attractive though and during those beautifully effective long burns you won’t be enjoying as much of a fireshow. Just enjoying the steady heat.

Well, I've done a ton of media blasting restoring Chevelles. If you can cover or safely remove the safety label and glass door, get or borrow a small pot media blaster. Set psi around 90 psi but use fine media. One bag of sand should do. A blue tarp makes a great one time booth. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES AND RESPIRATOR. Then do some fine tuning, vac all sand up, and wipe down metal with surface prep and repaint...

I've done an entire stove in 30 minutes. So spend 2-3 hours and you should have a beautiful T5!

Did I see 7" chimney? Isn't the King an 8" ? Glad its working of course, but curious...

Yes 7 stainless insulated chimney(20 feet of stainless)but about 6 feet of double wall 8 off the stove first, worked perfectly so far, was expecting to have to upgrade but if it ain't broke don't fix.

Yes 7 stainless insulated chimney(20 feet of stainless)but about 6 feet of double wall 8 off the stove first, worked perfectly so far, was expecting to have to upgrade but if it ain't broke don't fix.

I'm guessing that 26 feet of insulated 7" flue is enough to meet or exceed the performance of a 15' 8" flue in this application. Larch will be testing for sure.

I'm not sure his local building inspector would see it that way, nor his insurance company but we all have seen folks downsize the chimney from the outlet size and it seemed to work fine.