(Semi-Serious Post) How high is too high? (picture included)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

t0asty

Oct 12, 2021
NJ
Stacking a bunch of red oak for the future season. I have a lot more to go. Getting nervous and may need to add support for it.
Also have to stack maple and ash but keeping them separate.
wood.jpg

Reactions: Jay106n
above 4' is too high

Depends on how windy it is there in the winter. Some of my stacks put up this way fall over in bad winds when the trees get to whipping around, but 50 MPH wind is to be expected here in the winter.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
Depends on how windy it is there in the winter. Some of my stacks put up this way fall over in bad winds when the trees get to whipping around, but 50 MPH wind is to be expected here in the winter.
It can get windy, I am putting some support on it. In the past I have hit in some metal fence posts and put some old wooden posts in an X shape to hold it just in case. I don't think it will fall over but I have little kids who climb on anything so I don't want to risk it.

I have not gone over 8 ft, with 4*4 posts at th grid end of the stacks (and a furring strip on top to avoid th posts sagging outward. No trouble here, including during a tropical storm.

Posts don't move in a storm like trees do though.

(Now I'm in a wood shed with more support.)

Since my stacks have posts on each end that are 6 ft tall, I can comfortably stack my piles about 5 ft high. If I had no end support than 3 to 4 ft tall would be my ideal stack height.

If the base is wide and stable, it might be okay but it's well above the recommnended height. I've had 4 foot stacks fall (in the wind) because the base was not stable.

I do two rows, with a little space between them. Then as the stack goes to tie the two rows, I put stringer between them. Never had it go over. I go 6 ft, just gets to hard getting wood up any higher. Watch those trees they drop leaves. Hope the stack gets sun on it.

The Village rules state that firewood stacks can be no more than 6' high. I don't think we go much more than 8' with ours. I will say that stacking wood is no fun. Restacking is a lot less fun, so I am likely to make more shorter stacks in the future.

Reactions: clancey
The only time (ever) one of my stack toppled is when stacked between two trees.

54 inches is high enough, 60 inches max.

I like to throw a tarp on my outdoor stacks before the snow hits, so I generally dont go much higher then 5ft, stacked on pallets

I tend to keep mine on the high side 5 to 6 feet so when I rake off the snow there is somewhere for the snow to go to. By spring the snow on the shady side where the raked snow goes can get over 4'

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
While that looks very nice, I think it won't dry very well. The wind can't really get to most of the splits..

Reactions: WiscWoody
While that looks very nice, I think it won't dry very well. The wind can't really get to most of the splits..
I made one that was 6 feet high and did not cover the top. It was mainly red oak with some elm mixed in. Two years later all the wood was dried. I checked some of the inside rounds and splits just to make sure. The highest moisture was 22% from a large oak round. The outside pieces that I checked were 15% and less.

I made one that was 6 feet high and did not cover the top. It was mainly red oak with some elm mixed in. Two years later all the wood was dried. I checked some of the inside rounds and splits just to make sure. The highest moisture was 22% from a large oak round. The outside pieces that I checked were 15% and less.

ok, climate helps then, I guess. Though 22% is not good enough for me.

yeah, 4 feet.... then you can climb it comfortably to sit on it and knock down a few beers.
Run. Start.