Semi skip

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iskiatomic

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2008
Central CT
Picked up a semi skip tooth chain for my Husky 385XP recently, put it on last night. Wow! I like it!

KC

I like them when its time to sharpen.

wkpoor said:
Unless you are running it into dirt, it all averages out. More teeth means they should need to be sharpened less often. I sharpen about once ever 6 cord when bucking clean wood. Half the number of teeth and I'd be sharpening more often. Mind you, I have a short bar.

LLigetfa said:
wkpoor said:
Unless you are running it into dirt, it all averages out. More teeth means they should need to be sharpened less often. I sharpen about once ever 6 cord when bucking clean wood. Half the number of teeth and I'd be sharpening more often. Mind you, I have a short bar.

Once every six cords?? Really? I can't imagine any chain being very sharp even after a fraction of that.

Personally, I hand sharpen every other time I fill up the saw. That's when I'll need to top off the oil and it's nice to have a little break then.

I hand sharpen and a 32" bar full comp will not give you a break from cutting. You'll want to return to cutting for a break from sharpening. Actually thats what spare chains are for. I rarely sharpen in the field.

wkpoor said:
I hand sharpen and a 32" bar full comp will not give you a break from cutting. You'll want to return to cutting for a break from sharpening. Actually thats what spare chains are for. I rarely sharpen in the field.

Yea when your running 32 inch and north its kinda silly grabbing a file. I have a 41 inch full comp.

Kenster said:
Personally, I hand sharpen every other time I fill up the saw...
Ja, me too when I was running Oregon chain.

LLigetfa said:
wkpoor said:

Never got that far but I have not sharpened in about 5 tanks of gas and i have 2 good chains in waiting. Been cutting clean wood on my pallet built small log cutting jig thingy...

No reason to sharpen anything or change a chain yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.