Serenity - Dumb question about feeding the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ah I see. Still that really isn't bad imo. You can try to make the side walls "smoother" to help them slide down easier but I think your design of your stove is doing quite well
I still think the number relates to the efficiency of your hopper feed system. Just Sayin. It delivers 87.5% of the potential pellets before a refill is needed. There a lot of stoves that will not deliver that without modifications like my Englander for example.
It is a good idea to know how long you can burn to be sure. It is nice that you seem to have access to a variety of pellets to choose from. Here I don't really have that luxury.

Last edited:
I am not debating that, what I am pointing out is the fact that if all pellets fell to the bottom (as the design intends to accomplish) the auger would always be covered by the amount of pellets left in the hopper.

Thus Deezl's point of "bridge" is what was happening here. It has not happened lately as I tend to go there and shove the pellets towards the center. (reason is that I am measuring how long i can go with a single bag..right now is 24 hrs)

Here is a picture of a left alone feeding process.. after i shoved the pellets around, it filled the bottom high enough to cover the auger and more. So yes, if i left it like that it would have starved as auger would not have picked up any more pellets due to pellets "clinging to the walls" and not falling to the bottom of the hopper. This design should include some sort of up and down mesh/grid/grill that ensures movement of the pellets within the hopper. This amount shown in the picture would have lasted for 3 more hours.

View attachment 194102

When you give it a cleaning, with the hopper empty, take a handful of pellets and rube them against the tin on the two sides where the pellets are holding up in your picture. You can see in my picture there is a higher sheen to the hopper tin. This will come in time as the bag after bag of pellets slide across the tin. But to speed it up and get just a bit more slip to the pellets, take a handful and rub them against the tin.

Some on here have talked about spraying or coating the tinwork with a graphite. I have not dont this as I have no issue with how they feed currently. But maybe do a search and see if graphite is something you might try.

Reactions: Talegas
Only time I ever had the 'bridging' problem was when I burned O'Malley's Hardwoods..
Longest pellets in the Universe!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Talegas