Serenity - replaced power supply switch, still no power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SerenityNOW

Oct 16, 2022
McCall, ID
First of all, shame on all of you! I should not have been able to get my username “SerenityNOW” this late in the game.

Also mind you, I am only undertaking these repairs under protest. I would gladly pay somebody to come do it but no one in my area can get to my little problems…

Now to business…

I replaced an auger and motor on a 2018 castle serenity that until last season had been running great. after replacing gaskets and cleaning everything out thoroughly I put it all back together and fired it up. Everything was working fine until it hit the auger phase and then abruptly cut off. Again, I am not a professional, I did a poor job re-attaching the ground wire (upon inspection it was loose). So I tightened it down, looked into it, and replaced the power supply switch but now I’m not getting any power whatsoever…

Long story short, faulty ground. Replaced power supply switch. No power. What now?!

I feel like I have bought most of the castle serenity replacement part section by now…

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum
This is just a basic stupid question
Did you test the circuit the stove is plugged into?

I assumed the fuses were good since they came along with the new power supply switch. I picked up two to be safe and all four associates fuses look the same. I’ll confirm my wires and send some photos later.

Funny that we have to outsource this position to helpful Ontarians instead of Castle or ardisam…

Honestly everything looks good on the wiring and fuse front. Can anybody speak to issues that might occur if the stove was fired up without a proper ground on the auger motor? Nothing else has happened to kill the power…

If you have power to the control box and nothing after well
maybe the magic smoke escaped! 😕

I see no mention of actually checking the fuses or where there is or isn't power with a multi-meter or test light! You powered it up with a lose ground, electronics on these stoves don't like sparks! You need to follow the wiring diagram and see where you've got or not got power. We can only go by the information you provide. As johneh said, if you let the magic smoke out, you can't put it back in.

Reactions: SerenityNOW
Is there some incentive for you folks to be helping dopes like me out here!? Seems wild to be dragging me along for free… much appreciated though.

… and I’m in over my head. As soon as I popped open the control box and looked at the wiring diagram that was it for me! It’s been fun but I believe I’m at the end of the line here on my own.