Set wood stove same as oil furnace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eastcoast

Dec 30, 2020
Pei canada
I have a wood/oil combo right now my wood stove is set to lo-170 and hi-190, my oil furnace is set to lo-160 and hi-180 with diff dial at 20, my oil will only come on through the night when my wood stove goes out. Is it ok to set my oil furnace to the same settings as my wood stove lo-170 and hi-190? Also the diff can go from 10 - 25 is 20 what I have now alright?

So this is a wood/oil combo forced air furnace, right? What brand/model?
I assume the temps you are referring to are the house blower on/off temps?
Those are pretty high in my opinion...unless the manual says otherwise, I'd widen the range out to max (25) and lower it down some...175 on/150 off...that will keep the blower running more and put more heat to the house instead of just up the stack...which is what is happening when you have a fire and the blower is not running...

Sorry I guess what I meant is my wood stove and oil furnace are wired and piped together it's not just 1 unit, and it's hot water boiler not forced air. My wood stove is a Kerr tw2000 and my oil furnace is a ny thermal I think. And the temps I'm referring to is the aquastats

So you have 2 boilers - and not a stove and furnace? Or a combo (two fuels in one appliance) unit? I was also confused.

Edit: I would lower those settings and try wood 160-180, and oil 140-160. The hotter you keep them, the more standby heat loss. But it also comes down to some trial and error, and if they still keep you warm after changing settings.

Maple1 I'm not sure why I said combo but my wood stove is in my attached garage and my oil furnace is in the basement they both run hot water throught my finned baseboard rads. But they are hooked together because after my wood stove goes out and it drops to 150 my oil furnace will take over until I light the wood stove again, so I guess I was just trying to get the best out of my system and wondering if I was able to run both the wood and oil furnace at the same aquastat setting like say 160lo and 180 high and also my diff dial on the triple aquastat is at 20 it goes from 10-25 would you recommend anything other than 20? Thanks again just trying to get the best out of it all also my circulating pump has 3 settings lol medium and hi and it's on medium right now

If you set them the same then your oil burner will kick in when your wood is burning. Which I don't think you want? There can be a lot of differences between systems like this and how they are controlled and play together, so a lot of this comes down to how good it is or isn't working now. Another factor might be how much you use oil vs. wood. Anything to add on those? I would likely leave at 20. And 140 low on an oil boiler shouldn't make any condensation. That's where I had mine set on my old combo unit in winter, for (way too many) years.

(Also, generally speaking, a furnace blows hot air, a boiler heats water, and a stove is just a space heating stove - bit of mixup in terms...)

Thanks a lot for all the info. I was a bit confused I guess lol so I have a wood boiler and an oil boiler not oil furnace.
And yes that makes sense with both being set the same so I'll give your recommendation a try and see how I get along with it I'll try lo160 hi180 on my wood boiler and lo140 and hi160 on my oil boiler.. so just a couple more quick thing before I go set it all up. You say leave the differential dial at 20? And also I think it's called my control limit its on my wood boiler just a single aquastat and it's set to 150 that is when my oil will kick on after my wood goes out would you leave this at 150? Thanks again

Also I'm a little confused on something else my wood boiler is a Kerr tw2000 and it has a dual aquastat and a single aquastat the dual my hi temp is a safety and my low shuts the draft so is it the single aquastat it says on it limit control is that the one that makes the draft open? If so how much in a different should it be from open and close temperature? Thanks