Setting the pyro in me free.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So my son was able to climb up in there and get a picture. There 87F1CEAC-6EBC-4E73-A212-D75820830321_zpsqvhi44ne.jpg isnt enough clearance there.

87F1CEAC-6EBC-4E73-A212-D75820830321_zpsqvhi44ne.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so after a mini jack hammer and lots of pulling up the chimbly, we finally got the liner up in there. The Kuma is humming along. The heat coming out is very impressive but Im thinking my wood is less than ideal. When I open the door I have to hold the furniture back from being sucked into the insert. The fire blazes up real quick and goes nuclear, but as soon as I shut the door it goes dark in there and the cat temp has yet to go above 800. Still very impressive heat and maintaining 75 in the cabin while its 40-45 outside. If I can get a 35-40 degree delta, Ill be very happy. thats asking a lot of the Sequoia. While many consider the firebox to be big, I really wish there was a way to defy physics and get another cu ft or two in there.

This weekend will be a the first mini test for the insert as we are predicted to be in the 20 at night and around 40 during the day. If I can keep the place warm during this, Ill be very happy. Time will tell how well the heat distributes through the house and I am anxious to see how it does. Ill keep posting as I discover the limits of the little beast. I do have some really dry wood in the pile that I need to pull out and use just for the insert. This should make a difference.

Reactions: SuperJ
Keep some of the wood indoors in rubbermaid totes. A couple weeks inside may help if the wood is marginal.

So did you go with pre insulated? Not insulated? Your version of insulating it??

Keep some of the wood indoors in rubbermaid totes. A couple weeks inside may help if the wood is marginal.
I'm glad I saw this maybe that will help in my situation of having to burn unseasoned wood this year.not next year have harvested 10 cords in 2 weeks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So did you go with pre insulated? Not insulated? Your version of insulating it??

My son and I wrapped it with an insulation kit.

Ok, so I was right about my wood. I have begun sorting my woodpile. Splitting every piece and measuring. Most of the pine, ash, and maple is between 15%-19%. Then there are some that are above 50% Lol. Lots of osage and locust between 18-19%. Im glad I began measuring, it really is difficult to tell which pieces are seasoned and which ones arent until you split them open and measure. Back when I was only burning the boiler I didnt pay much attention, just gave it about two years. The problem is some of those pieces were split in really big pieces and some were on the bottom of the pile, directly on the ground for a year. I should have enough seasoned to get me through the year and like Begreen said, some of the marginal stuff will go in the wood holding bin already built into the hearth so it can be ready in a month or two.

Good deal. Keep checking. You will get so that you can often feel about when the wood is ready to burn, by weight, look and by banging two pieces together.

Reactions: Rockey
What chimney liner did you install? I just picked up a Kuma sequoia insert and I'm try to decide on a liner.

I bought my 314ti 8" liner from fireplace chimney store. I bought the insulation kit from Rockford chimney supply. If I had to do it over I would buy a preinsulated liner.

Ok, so I am really liking this little insert. I loaded it up last night around 9:30. It wasnt stuffed, I probably couldve fit a few redstone bricks into the empty cavities but it was good enough. I shut the intake all the way down and hit the hay. Checked on it around 6:30 this morning and it was still half full. I mean there were still pieces that werent even charred yet. Active flame and lots of coals and a good amount of heat from the blower. It did drop from 72 to 71 upstairs and it was only upper 30's last night. Ill probably start experimenting with leaving the intake open just slightly more and more until I find what works with the expected low temps outside.

If I can make it through nights in the 20's I will be pumped. Thats asking a lot but it will save me a ton of wood compared to firing up the boiler. Now once it get below 20's, Im going to have to fire up the boiler anyway because it feeds hydronic heaters in the garage and my daughters apartment above the garage. Plus it will even out the heat through the house although right now the heat distribution is very good. Kuma did a great job with this one!

Sounds great. Little insert ;lol

Sounds great. Little insert ;lol

Lol Im used to climbing into the boiler and moving wood around to get a fire going. This little firebox requires a lot of thought where things go.

Ok, so I am really liking this little insert. I loaded it up last night around 9:30. It wasnt stuffed, I probably couldve fit a few redstone bricks into the empty cavities but it was good enough. I shut the intake all the way down and hit the hay. Checked on it around 6:30 this morning and it was still half full. I mean there were still pieces that werent even charred yet. Active flame and lots of coals and a good amount of heat from the blower. It did drop from 72 to 71 upstairs and it was only upper 30's last night. Ill probably start experimenting with leaving the intake open just slightly more and more until I find what works with the expected low temps outside.

If I can make it through nights in the 20's I will be pumped. Thats asking a lot but it will save me a ton of wood compared to firing up the boiler. Now once it get below 20's, Im going to have to fire up the boiler anyway because it feeds hydronic heaters in the garage and my daughters apartment above the garage. Plus it will even out the heat through the house although right now the heat distribution is very good. Kuma did a great job with this one!

That's pretty good on an overnight and having pieces that have not even been charred. Wait 'til you have to fill it to the gils, you might be a true 24hr. burner.

Reactions: Rockey
That sounds like great results and I can't wait to get my Kuma hooked up now. I'm just waiting on my flex liner to show. I think it will be roasting me out of the new house. Which will make my wife happy because she is always cold. My house is quite a bit smaller than yours. The Regancey insert in out current home doesn't put out the heat or burn times I'd like. The larger firebox on the sequoia was one of the reasons I chose it.

That sounds like great results and I can't wait to get my Kuma hooked up now. I'm just waiting on my flex liner to show. I think it will be roasting me out of the new house. Which will make my wife happy because she is always cold. My house is quite a bit smaller than yours. The Regancey insert in out current home doesn't put out the heat or burn times I'd like. The larger firebox on the sequoia was one of the reasons I chose it.

Just burn smaller fires and close the intake down more until it suits your needs. If I didnt need all the heat I would be closing it down more. you can definitely feel a reduced amount of heat with the intake closed more. It performs exactly as you would expect it to.

Just burn smaller fires and close the intake down more until it suits your needs. If I didnt need all the heat I would be closing it down more. you can definitely feel a reduced amount of heat with the intake closed more. It performs exactly as you would expect it to.

+1. Even with the box full it'll shut down to a pretty low burn. It wouldn't shock me if the low was lower than your Regency.

Ok, so I have noticed a condition when reloading or starting a fire. If I leave the door cracked while reloading or starting the door will eventually close and then begin oscillating. If I latch the door closed then I can hear the same oscillating noise through the 4 secondary inlet holes for the cat, it actually whistles quite loud. If I let this continue it will spill gasses into the house through those 4 holes. I have to then close down the intake until it stops. Im sure this is because of the strong draft but I can easily extinguish all flames by closing the intake all the way. In fact it will barely keep the cat in the active zone. I guess its possible the wood isnt as seasoned as I thought. Im using a cheap Harbor freight meter and everything is between 15-19%. Whats a good quality meter. Id like to know for sure what Im burning here.

Ok, so I have noticed a condition when reloading or starting a fire. If I leave the door cracked while reloading or starting the door will eventually close and then begin oscillating. If I latch the door closed then I can hear the same oscillating noise through the 4 secondary inlet holes for the cat, it actually whistles quite loud. If I let this continue it will spill gasses into the house through those 4 holes. I have to then close down the intake until it stops. Im sure this is because of the strong draft but I can easily extinguish all flames by closing the intake all the way. In fact it will barely keep the cat in the active zone. I guess its possible the wood isnt as seasoned as I thought. Im using a cheap Harbor freight meter and everything is between 15-19%. Whats a good quality meter. Id like to know for sure what Im burning here.

I get the whistling as well, particularly if it's windy outside and 'pulling' air through the stack. I don't get smoke smell, though, and don't have to close it down. Kinda surprised you get smoke backpuffing with your chimney...I have a pretty strong draft with a ~16ft stack.

Ok, thought Id give an update since it has been a while and Im learning how to better run the Kuma. I did get up on the roof a few weeks ago to take a look down the liner. Looks like very minor buildup of the dry grayish type, so that put my mind to ease about how its running and the quality of wood. The performance has been truly amazing. We did have a few days where it didnt make it above freezing and the nights were predicted to be in the low 20's. It actually got down to low to mid teens those nights. If I wouldve known it was going to go that low I wouldve fired up the boiler but it made it through and just needed some help from the furnace in the mornings. With temps in the 40s during the day and 30 at night it supplies enough heat to keep the place around 70 upstairs and 75-80 downstairs. It does burn through a good amount of wood to keep this place warm but it is expected trying to heat a stadium. Im very happy with this stove, easy to use and performs like a champ.

IMG_20181108_175500021_HDR_zpssfexgvpd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: wooduser
Ok, thought Id give an update since it has been a while and Im learning how to better run the Kuma. I did get up on the roof a few weeks ago to take a look down the liner. Looks like very minor buildup of the dry grayish type, so that put my mind to ease about how its running and the quality of wood. The performance has been truly amazing. We did have a few days where it didnt make it above freezing and the nights were predicted to be in the low 20's. It actually got down to low to mid teens those nights. If I wouldve known it was going to go that low I wouldve fired up the boiler but it made it through and just needed some help from the furnace in the mornings. With temps in the 40s during the day and 30 at night it supplies enough heat to keep the place around 70 upstairs and 75-80 downstairs. It does burn through a good amount of wood to keep this place warm but it is expected trying to heat a stadium. Im very happy with this stove, easy to use and performs like a champ.

View attachment 236183

MY but that area is neat and clean!