Setting the pyro in me free.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes if you can make sure you have 1" of that insulation surrounding the liner in all areas. Preinsulated or wrap will be much easier and safer.

I will order some insulation wrap, but for the record you and I both know maintaining 1" of post install insulation around the entire liner will be as difficult to do as maintaining the integrity of wrap insulation when pulling it though 2 offsets.

I will order some insulation wrap, but for the record you and I both know maintaining 1" of post install insulation around the entire liner will be as difficult to do as maintaining the integrity of wrap insulation when pulling it though 2 offsets.
I pull liners through offsets all the time. Like i said if they are bad offsets or have rough edges use preinsulated. If the offsets are done reasonably well the wrap will be fine with the mesh sleeve over it. If the offsets are really bad it can mean opening up the chimney in that area to make room. Maintaining an inch of insulation is impossible in this case. Wrap is far easier to do right.

I pull liners through offsets all the time. Like i said if they are bad offsets or have rough edges use preinsulated. If the offsets are done reasonably well the wrap will be fine with the mesh sleeve over it. If the offsets are really bad it can mean opening up the chimney in that area to make room. Maintaining an inch of insulation is impossible in this case. Wrap is far easier to do right.

I dont doubt that you have pulled countless liners through chimneys. Have you actually measured each and every point on all those liners after the fact to determine the integrity was intact. Of course not, that would be absolutely ridiculous. Just like ensuring 1" of clearance around post install insulation.

I dont doubt that you have pulled countless liners through chimneys. Have you actually measured each and every point on all those liners after the fact to determine the integrity was intact. Of course not, that would be absolutely ridiculous. Just like ensuring 1" of clearance around post install insulation.
No but i can feel if it is hanging up going through the offsets. If i have doubts yes i drop the camera down beside the liner. I do this all the time. I am telling you the answer is if the offsets are not to sharp or rough a liner wrapped in insulation and stainless mesh will be fine. If they are to sharp or rough use preinsulated.

I understand that code is there for protection and the intent is for the better and I am all for that. At some point you have to ask yourself if I am just trying to appease a code or if there is really some substantial safety to be gained. If you could show some quantitive data between all these it would make it much more digestible for us and easier to base a decision on.

I understand that code is there for protection and the intent is for the better and I am all for that. At some point you have to ask yourself if I am just trying to appease a code or if there is really some substantial safety to be gained.
Yes there is without a doubt substantial safety to be gained as well as substantial performance gains. You wont have to worry about draft at all but you will have to worry about the exhaust gasses cooling to much in that long run

I like you bholler, I really do but when I told you I measured my chimney at multiple points at 87 degrees at full bore and your response was that I couldnt measure every point, yet you went on to say you drop a camera down the chimney when you arent sure if the insualtion is intact yet there is no way to see the points that are in contact with the chimney then I start to scratch my head. lol

I like you bholler, I really do but when I told you I measured my chimney at multiple points at 87 degrees at full bore and your response was that I couldnt measure every point, yet you went on to say you drop a camera down the chimney when you arent sure if the insualtion is intact yet there is no way to see the points that are in contact with the chimney then I start to scratch my head. lol
I can see the lenght of liner that has been pulled through the offset already and inspect it for tears.

I trust you bholler. Im going to insulate my liner, but if anything goes wrong Im going to hold BrotherBart personally responsible.

Unfortunately seeing the issues without having chimney in a lab setup with the option to view contact, abrasion, etc. is challenging. The issues and damage to insulation often are only apparent when the liner is pulled out.

I trust you bholler. Im going to insulate my liner, but if anything goes wrong Im going to hold BrotherBart personally responsible.
Ok i dont get that joke i must have missed something.

Ok i dont get that joke i must have missed something.

Time to get out of your methodical mind and enter your laid back, facetious, Brother Bart mind. Ill blame him very chance I get.

Unfortunately seeing the issues without having chimney in a lab setup with the option to view contact, abrasion, etc. is challenging. The issues and damage to insulation often are only apparent when the liner is pulled out.
Yes very true. But i do inspect with a camera in some cases after the fact and have pulled a few to clear obstructions and reinsulate. No there is no way to check every inch but i can tell if there is a major issue.

And when pulling through offsets get the fine mesh it protects the insulation much better

Time to get out of your methodical mind and enter your laid back, facetious, Brother Bart mind. Ill blame him very chance I get.
Since when is bb laid back?? Lol

Sometimes I cant figure out if bholler is a

1. 23 year old smartass with sarcasm
2. 67 year old crankass with no sense of humor

That thing is going to draft like a crack feen smoking his first drag after getting out of the big house for a few years.

That thing is going to draft like a crack feen smoking his first drag after getting out of the big house for a few years.

Hopefully it wont yank my mullet and scalp me when I open the door.

Where in the wide world of sports am I going to find a winch/hoist setup to do this right? I was just going to use my manlift to pull that sucker out but since Im doing things right now I might as well try to suppress my hillbilly ways.

Last edited:
Hopefully it wont yank my mullet and scalp me.

Where in the wide world of sports am I going to find a winch/hoist setup to do this right? I was just going to use my manlift to pull that sucker out but since Im doing things right now I might as well try to suppress my hillbilly ways.
You should use a hand winch so you can feel it. Otherwise you will never know how it is pulling. There are hoists made specifically for this application. But they are expensive. I am sure you could rig something pretty cheaply with some steel angle and a hand winch.

Did you figure out the flue damper yet?

bholler said in another thread that he's put them right in the fireplace with a linkage going out by the insert, which sounds like a good solution.

Did you figure out the flue damper yet?

bholler said in another thread that he's put them right in the fireplace with a linkage going out by the insert, which sounds like a good solution.
Yeah i have done a few that way. It does take some fabrication though.

Cant even get it started. The angle of the smoke shelf is too much. I think its time to call a professional in but I dont see them getting this liner up there without removing some of the wall in the smoke chamber.
IMG_20181020_135241936_HDR_zpsky6ix2cp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: