Setting up a wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodsplitter67

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2017
Woolwich nj
So this past winter i posted a pic of my wood shed. Some of the replies i received were that my wood will not dry.. ect..

Proper setup will have your wood dry fast as well as save laber. Alot of people let the wood dry in racks and then move to a shed having to move the same wood twice
Having to move the wood twice sucks

When i built my shed it is elevated off the ground for air circulation. The back of the shed has removable panels and the orientation of the shed to the sun is the mst important . The first picture is the fron of the shed.. it get sunlight on it untill almost noon.. The second picture is of the back. The sun hits the back of the shed from like 1.30 to 8pm. I can stand at the back of the shed and feel the air going through the stacks of wood.. this fall i will put the back panels back on because the prevailing winds will change and the wood will get wet..
20170604_103152.jpg

The wood dries verey quickly like this and will be burn able this season. I have over 11 cords and never move them more than once as well as i never have to worry about tarps
20170608_180850.jpg

image.jpeg
I agree, we build a 20 x 24' wood shed. The front half is used for equipment storage while the back half which is approximately 10 x 24 is used for wood storage. This year I will be putting about 10 more cords under the overhang that you see on the left of the building. For siding are used T 11

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Not sure what happened to the last post, anyways we use T11 which we ripped down the center with a circular saw. It has held up excellent over the years and the wood seasons very well in there. We don't stack any of it outside prior to moving it inside.

I think it's perfect. Wonderful and effective setup and usage.

I use and all outdoor simple system with an added mini shed
with 2C as dry backup. Otherwise it's likewise thinking, Splitter.
I stack where it's split, burn left to right (stacked by age), if the
stack is wet pull off the top two rows and the dry goods go to
the tote in the stoveroom. Really wet stax call for the mini shed.
(No long wet spells in this region of any consequence to worry about.)

CheapMark
I'd like to eventually build a box similar to your setup, btw.

The only real reason I justified such a wood shed is that we bought land and we're going to clear it ourselves. I didn't want to leave our equipment outside so we build the above as a woodshed that we could use in the meantime as a place to store equipment. By the time we wee done clearing we had all of the prime hardwood stacked. although we burn pine we ended up selling about 20 cords of it to a guy who made horse shavings. Only got 35 a chord but he picked up all the log lengths and it would have rotten by the time we ever got to it.

Reactions: CheapBassTurd