Settings For a Modulating PID Controller For Boiler Mixing Valve?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I'll be installing a motor operated mixing valve by Johnson Controls after the heating season. I have a Honeywell controller: http://s3.supplyhouse.com/manuals/1351176224256/85587_PROD_FILE.pdf . I have no idea what the settings should be. With the several variables, trial and error could take a long time.

The controller has settings for Setpoint, Throttling Range, Integral and Derivative. It says not to use the derivative if possible and to use a wider throttling range with the integral function doing most of the work. Default values are 20F for throttling range, 400 seconds for integral, and 0 for derivative. These settings may have an air handling slant to them, however-I have no idea.

Where do I start?

This is what is says in the installation manual:

NOTES:
1. The Integral time is factory set for 400
seconds. This is a good middle range and
should satisfy many applications. The integral
time can be increased for applications where
sensed response is slow, and can be
decreased for applications where sensed
response is fast (e.g. discharge air control).
2. As a starting point, an optimal integral time for
discharge air typically ranges from 12 to 200
seconds. An optimal integral time for room
control typically ranges from 60 to 2,500
seconds. The purpose of integral action is to
reduce or eliminate the offset from setpoint
during steady state control that is often seen
in proportional only control.
3. Keep in mind that control is most sensitive to
throttling range. Adjust the throttling range
first before any adjustment to integral time.
Adjust throttling range to be as wide as
possible to start since this will provide the
most stable control. Remember that the
integral will eliminate the steady state error so
you do not need to have a small throttling
range to have accurate control. (Integral
action allows for controlling to a setpoint even
with a wide throttling range).

Last edited:
I use two PID controllers. They are used in set point jobs. One turns the boiler loop pump on and off based on flue temperatures. The other one turns the induction fan off based on gasification temperatures. Fan is turned on in a by pass mode, like a manual over ride timer.

It has been a while when I set those up. I used cheaper ebay PID controllers. I think for set point you disable the P the I and D. It almost becomes an aqua stat that way.

It was hard enough to read the chinglish instructions for my stuff. For a mixing valve it looks like you use more features than me.

Might have to just set and adjust, as needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.