Gcj Posted By Gcj, Mar 7, 2019 at 7:28 PM

1. Gcj

Gcj
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2019
    Loc:
    Michigan
    Just want to thank everyone who weighed in concerning my issues with my 4mth old Shelter 3100. I spent hours researching a stove that would work for my home. I thought I found it with this model. I am extremely disappointed with the problems I am having. However, they are paying to have the cracks welded and replacing the side walls that warped.
    Thanks again

Mrpelletburner likes this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    JRHAWK9 likes this.
  3. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Hmmm, yes - what are they doing to try to ensure it doesn't happen again?

Having you remove your pipe damper sure wouldn't be it, that would be worsening the situation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    Any chance you can describe your chimney?

Location? Middle of the house or on an outside wall?

Did you have a stainless steal liner installed? If so is it insulated (doesn’t have to be insulated, just asking)

What is the height of the chimney?

Can you post a photo of your stove pipe setup from the rear of the unit to the chimney?

I am asking as these details are only going to help the folks on the forum to help others that own this unit and having the same issue. I have noticed that to many folks show up, ask some great questions, but never report back.

My FC1500 (Fire Chief version of what you have) cracked and I had the option of having the unit welded or replaced. I decided to have the unit replaced as once you have developed a crack, it is the microscopic cracks you do not see and the heat/stress has now permanently changed the characteristics of the firebox.

5. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    Have you looked at the primary air inlets located in the bottom front? Should be 4 or 5 oval inlet holes. At the holes warped or split open?

I have a couple that are warped open, 1 cracked and the whole tube looks rusted.

IMG_1615.jpg

6. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    FYI... have them ship all 3 sides and new bolts for the rear panel. I have a new FC1500 sitting here and discovered you have to remove the rear panel in order to remove the side panels.

FWIW the 3 panels cost about $120.

7. Gcj

Gcj
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2019
    Loc:
    Michigan
    I was told that once I removed them from the tracks I would be able to pull them out diagonally through the door.

8. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    That sounds correct.

I was trying to remove them from the new unit to see what is behind them, if anything. Maybe when I have more time, I will remove the back and sides to inspect.

In the end, I wish they had more “how to” videos regarding the unit as their install video is not that great.

9. Gcj

Gcj
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2019
    Loc:
    Michigan
    Here are some pictures. I also a HVAC hooked it up to my cold air return.

Attached Files:

Mrpelletburner likes this.
  10. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    Wow that is one nice install!

I have a cardboard setup that pulls return air from the basement ceiling... yup Mickey Mouse (no duct tape)

11. Gcj

Gcj
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2019
    Loc:
    Michigan
    I wasn't going to do it that way, but I thought it would be more efficient. What a waste!!