Shantung Maple, Arborist Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
yardtree1.jpg I planted these trees a few years ago, they are Shantung maple. both planted at the same time from 1 gallon pots. They were just sticks. One has taken off, more than double the size of the other. I have drip irrigation that drips 10 gallons of water per week to them . I also drip from a garden hose for 24 hours once or twice a month,also water from the lawn sprinklers. I wasn't thinking about firewood when I planted them, I'm thinking almond would have been a better choice. When should I start pruning and shaping the trees? They look more like bushes than trees, a lot of low branches coming out. These trees are supposed be good lawn trees, and they do well in full hot sun, and don't get too big. All reasons I chose them.

Prune them next winter when they go dormant.

Don't leave the support on the trees too long.. Dr Alex Shigo's book I read , a Tree Biology said that trees have a hormone that strengthens the trunk.. If you leave them supported this function will not happen..I believe it is activated with things like the wind blowing or when trees are planted on a hill side.. Ever see a tree that has grown out at an angle to get sun light , same thing? As far as the size difference,, girdling roots , left in the container too long...The bigger the tree when transplanted the longer the top growth will take.. A transplanted tree will grow it's root system first and then grow the canopy only after it has established an adequate root system .. Size difference, have to have someone look at the trees locally... I'm thinking one has a better root system over the other..Check for surface roots wrapping around the smaller tree,, They should be removed... One planted deeper then the other, too deep is no good... you should see the trunk flair above ground... You could also go on the Arborist.com site.. I'm sure you'll get some more possible answers... Believe it our not, you lawn gets most of the nutrients that the trees need..

Reactions: ScotO
I see Scotty beat me to it. My grandpa and dad always said the same thing but they just said only months with an r at the end same difference. My grandpa could tell you when to set a fence post by the moon to make sure it would not loosen up in the hole. I don't remember that one.

Reactions: ScotO
Pruning was best done when dormant... One major rule was never to prune when leaves are forming or falling off. Dead wood could be removed anytime of the year.. Main thing is to make good branch collar cuts so the wound could heal properly.. never paint a cut either... they found that held in harmful bacteria.... a tree flowing sap from a cut would purge the cut from bacteria as it healed.. Also never let someone use climbing spurs when pruning a tree,, only for removals..

Status
Not open for further replies.