Shed build underway

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Progress. The right bay is full with two large oak trees that the arborists took down near the house back in August, and an oak branch that fell in the derecho this fall. The left bay has just the front row to go, so less than 1/2 cord to go. I'm caught up with all of the fallen dead oaks, so not sure what that last bit will be.

There's one more oak that fell in the same derecho, but it's suspended awkwardly 3-4 feet off the ground, and I'm wary of tension relief cuts. I might just clean up the multitude of dead small pine trunks and branches and see if those would yield enough while I see if the rest of the winter downs any more of the standing dead oaks.

Attachments

• PXL_20210131_174240687.jpg
    PXL_20210131_174240687.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 221
That design although very nice doesn’t look like it allows a lot of airflow through it. And since your putting a lot of oak in there I would imagine it may take even longer to season like that, no? I could be wrong though.

That design although very nice doesn’t look like it allows a lot of airflow through it. And since your putting a lot of oak in there I would imagine it may take even longer to season like that, no? I could be wrong though.
There are more gaps all around the siding than are immediately obvious, and it is raised up off the ground about a foot. You're correct though, I don't know how the middle will behave. My plan is to check on it in three years and see whether that works, or if I'll need to build in more air passages, move stacks around over time, or just wait longer.

Last edited:
Yeah will be interesting to see Maybe you could remove like every other siding board or something like that. Or maybe using some of the clear roofing panels could allow more sun to hit the wood

very nice shed!!
I certainly love the idea of the middle partition separating the shed...
my 1995 build is the same size as yours...
i'm now thinking of incorporating a middle partition in mine once i clean it out in spring.

woodshed.jpg

Reactions: orlkc
Looks excellent OP! My wood shed build will start when we thaw out a little. Been cold and snowing here the last few months.

OK . . . I've got to ask seeing as I would never associate lobster buoys with the State of Wisconsin . . . what's up with the lobster buoys?
FFJake - I will look forward to the answer to your question ... maybe I've been missing out on something all these years!!

FFJake - I will look forward to the answer to your question ... maybe I've been missing out on something all these years!!

Maybe there are lobsters in Lake Winnebago?

OK . . . I've got to ask seeing as I would never associate lobster buoys with the State of Wisconsin . . . what's up with the lobster buoys?
nope, no lobster in our lakes sad to say... it's just something that started after receiving one as a gift and after hanging it up, thought it looked lonely so more were added before i realized i may have a problem.

And it's full. Getting the tensioned oak to the ground turned out to not be too bad. A pair of z cuts let me stand well away to watch it crack, slowly fall the rest of the way to the ground, and snap apart. One more root flare base round that I forgot about earlier filled up the last section at the top. It took me a lot longer to get the rounds out of the woods with more than a foot of snow still on the ground.

Attachments

• PXL_20210215_155351770.jpg
    PXL_20210215_155351770.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 152