Shed build underway

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

orlkc

Nov 9, 2017
Eastern MA
My kit from Jamaica Cottage arrived a couple weeks ago in one dense packed platform that slid right into the barn. I got the base and decking assembled last weekend.

Two changes I'm making from the directions are to stain all of the pieces before assembling, and to use stainless/coated connectors everywhere. Both of these are because I expect it'll take many weeks to finish, so there will be partially assembled pieces out for quite a while, and I can extend the painting season a bunch by doing that part indoors.
PXL_20201025_220119102.jpgPXL_20201024_202447152.jpgPXL_20201024_162834693.jpgPXL_20201014_162009633.jpg

He's a great pyrenees. Don't think he's happy that I took away his new gravel pad. Also not much of a stove creature, since now is just about when it starts getting cold enough to spend lots of time outside.

It does look iike a nice kit. Looks like you will get a lot of years out if it. A few comment; If you are planning to stack wood in there it would be worth installing some uprights vertical uprights from the the base of the wall to the top of the side walls to stack up against. 2x4s are really not deep enough, 2x6s or 2x8s notched to fit a sill board along the floor and the header work pretty well. Comment two, skunks and groundhogs love to move in under a shed, they can dig through the crushed rock and make a home in the gaps underneath. They can be quite persistent. Obviously you have a "guard "dog but you probably dont want to have to deskunk him while doing his/hers duty. running hardware cloth down the gap under the crushed rock will stop the critters from moving in.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Dogs often don't learn lessons about skunks. My GSD has been skunked twice.

It does look iike a nice kit. Looks like you will get a lot of years out if it. A few comment; If you are planning to stack wood in there it would be worth installing some uprights vertical uprights from the the base of the wall to the top of the side walls to stack up against. 2x4s are really not deep enough, 2x6s or 2x8s notched to fit a sill board along the floor and the header work pretty well. Comment two, skunks and groundhogs love to move in under a shed, they can dig through the crushed rock and make a home in the gaps underneath. They can be quite persistent. Obviously you have a "guard "dog but you probably dont want to have to deskunk him while doing his/hers duty. running hardware cloth down the gap under the crushed rock will stop the critters from moving in.

The vertical uprights are an interesting idea. So far I'd been thinking I'd build a full partition wall between the two doors. That would leave each side at about three cords, which is a generous normal winter for me. Might not be enough for a covid winter, but we'll see. If I then put another such shed somewhere else, and get another year ahead (two very big ifs), then I can have one partition that I'm emptying, one filling, and two that are full. I can see how having more flexibility within each side, or just more stability when stacking, would be even better.

Next up is the rest of the siding, trim, and roof strapping. I didn't notice that they shipped all of the trim boards long until I had a bunch of that fascia up, so the front corner layering isn't quite right. I think I'll see how visible that is with the roof on.

PXL_20201115_163945812.jpgPXL_20201117_195103275.jpg

Roof is up. All that's left now is to turn the shipping pallet into a partition wall and a bit of stain touch ups.
Well done sir. I’ve been dreaming up plans for a massive wood shed for a few years now. I want a drive through shed with storage on both sides. Only thing stopping me is everything . Mainly time and money

What a nice shed! Like the color of it, looks naturally aged.

I was aiming for the color of the nearby tree trunks. It ended up a little darker, though depends a lot on the light, since you really can't do a thin stain coat on the rough sawn boards. But I do like how the color came out nonetheless.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Maybe you posted this elsewhere and I missed it? What are the dimensions? Care to give the cost? Looks great, by the way.

This one is 8'x16', and the kit cost just over 4k. This size was small enough to not need a building permit here, and just fit in among existing trees and still stay the required distance from the property line.

That's a beauty! Good job.

Roof is up. All that's left now is to turn the shipping pallet into a partition wall and a bit of stain touch ups.
beautiful job!

I was aiming for the color of the nearby tree trunks. It ended up a little darker, though depends a lot on the light, since you really can't do a thin stain coat on the rough sawn boards. But I do like how the color came out nonetheless.
You came pretty close, and it'll likely fade a little to get you right at your desired shade. It's a real nice shed, you will enjoy having it.

Thanks for the comments all.

Last weekend I built the partition wall and stained the floor again. The pallet had 4x4 skids and those were long enough to build the cross beam and angle posts that match the structural parts of the shed. Putting the rest as floor nailers is an odd choice, but it shortened the vertical distance from floor nailers to main beam. That meant that I could make 50% more of the vertical strapping pieces due to the lengths I had.

After a couple days for the stain to cure it was time to start filling it up. The left bay is getting standing dead oak and a few pieces of green white pine, and the right bay will be for green oak. Left bay should be for either the winter of '22/23 or the year after, and the right bay the following winter. I'll probably revise that once I get a better estimate of the what I really have still to split and stack.

Attachments

• PXL_20201128_204118253.jpg
    PXL_20201128_204118253.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 297
  • PXL_20201206_151118306.jpg
    PXL_20201206_151118306.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 260