Shed Floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"tap...tap..." okay, I've officially tapped out of this thread.
Stand by what I said, agree with Highbeams comments as well.
You obviously have your mind set on what you want, you asked about the floor joists, question was answered.
I would however really like to see a picture of the long narrow tall shed once it's completed.
Good luck!
I hear ya, near tapped out myself. I'm gonna put down a floor and then play a bit of jazz on the walls. Leaving some things unplanned makes life more interested.

Hmmm, I was thinking, maybe I could piggy back off the existing woodshed. The woodshed side faces where I want the new shed. I'd save building one wall and footings for one end. It's 5" wide there, figure I'd go out 12' from there.

Thread creep is fun. It's expected and okay, obviously the initial question was answered but there are more opportunities for discussion.

You can tap out at any time without informing us.

Thread creep is fun. It's expected and okay, obviously the initial question was answered but there are more opportunities for discussion.

You can tap out at any time without informing us.
Yea, it didn't occur to me until I was looking at it again this weekend.

Better thread creep than a creepy thread!

"Dry fit". View from both ends. This is 8x10. That might do it.

uploadfromtaptalk1462934766735.jpguploadfromtaptalk1462934780133.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: vinny11950
I'm looking to build an 8x4 shed for lawn tractor, snow thrower, yard tools.

Can I get away with 2x4 joists as a support floor?
You can get away with 2x4s fine since my whole house was built with 2x4s there is no reason you cannot use them for a small shed! Also if you dig 2 foot holes under each cinder block and fill them with 3/4" stone then you do not need fancy cement underneath! I did that with my shed and leveled the blocks with a cheap water level and never needed one shim when the floor was built! Also the shed has stayed perfectly level for 5 years without sagging!!!

Here are pics of my shed build
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...m-channel-under-the-rake-boards-is-for.70576/

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...or-10-2-uf-b-and-is.76717/page-6#post-1451052

Last edited:
Okay, here's where I am now. I'm really winging it here folks. I was tempted to leave it with no walls, like a gazebo, it will be practically empty in summer, so I could put up a hammock in there. But wife wanted a wall facing the street, so I put the wood wall there. Not sure what I'm doing with the other walls.

2a4cd23042bed09c06108416c80654bd.jpg
3b448e41c453a7b4000f7ee65be4fced.jpg307f4519f8151eeb4545c0f92258c27a.jpg

Added the side wall facing the house and made a sliding front door. I also made a matchibg fixed door that I will put on once in winter and remove in spring.

uploadfromtaptalk1474727775964.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1474727784269.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1474727802390.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1474727809961.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1474727818075.jpg

I really like the way the corrugated metal looks for the walls.

I really like the way the corrugated metal looks for the walls.
Thanks man. It really is the cheapest option also at $12 per sheet. On the far wall i attached some 3/4 ply I got for $10, cause it was cut wrong in the store.

I'm keeping a tally of total costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.