Shed Experts - See what the Don's special custom channel under the Rake Boards is for!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

A friend and I are building a shed, which I have never done before. The building code for this part of town is no more than 100 sqft max. So 10x10 it is! The 6x6s in the pic below are just edge trimming.

I do have 3/4 inch stones under the blocks down 2 ft and I will have stones around the edge for the drip edge.

Two Questions?

Is there a good reason to cover the ground under the shed with 3/4" stones?

Is it better to have the shed on 2 blocks so it will be higher and more air will flow under it?

See pic below. Click to enlarge:

Attachments

• TRHShedBaseBlocksSC.jpg
    TRHShedBaseBlocksSC.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 2,232
If there is a floor i would not do stones. And yes you want air flow under there.

smokinjay said:
If there is a floor i would not do stones. And yes you want air flow under there.

Hi smokinjay

Yes, there will be a plywood floor. Why no stones?

Don2222 said:
smokinjay said:

Hi smokinjay

Yes, there will be a plywood floor. Why no stones?

You got block so its up off the ground. Unless the drainage is very poor it will be fine with out gravel under there. Now if you want to make it prettier?

Hello

Thanks for explaining, the drainage is ok there, but I do not want any mold in the shed.

Don2222 said:
Hello

Thanks for explaining, the drainage is ok there, but I do not want any mold in the shed.

Air flow you will not but,...Doesnt hurt to over build! ;-)

My dad just had a new shed put in. He put down a roll of fencing laid flat with 3/4" crushed stone. Woodchucks will not be living under his shed with that in place. His joist are pressure treated, so it is close to the ground. His 30 year old shed he took down was regular pine floor joists, no rot. It was dry as a bone under there. one or two patio blocks will be fine. Stone and some wire barrier would be worth it.

Not a shed expert . . . but I do have a shed.

Like others have said . . . if the drainage is good, there is no need for extra stone underneath.

One patio block should be fine . . . as long as it is up off the ground and allows some air flow.

you might want stones for a base for the blocks on top of soil, you might want stones if your shed had to be on skids and not up on blocks.

I've seen people excavate topsoil and fill with stone only to end up with the stones sitting in a pond every time it rained.

Two blocks would allow you to get under it and maybe even store hoses and pipes and things
requires a longer ramp to get into though with wheeled things

The gravel my dad used were for discouraging woodchucks and skunks for burrowing, not for drainage.

I saw these concrete deck pads, or whatever they called at the HD.
They have an opening for a 4x4.

What about that soil cement thing that Goose did for his shed? That sounded like a cool idea as a shed base.

Danno77 said:
What about that soil cement thing that Goose did for his shed? That sounded like a cool idea as a shed base.

Soil cement has a place and can be useful. I have soil cemented airfield shoulders, road bases, hard stands, and light airplane landing strips. I know your idea is not a big fancy engineered project. However, please take a few minutes to determine from an internet search if you really want to do this. The right kind of soil, moisture, foundation material, mix proportion, and compaction is needed if you don't want to waste your time and money. YMMV

One of the best documents out thirty years ago on soil cement was something the army corps of engineers published. I don't remember what is was, but probably a tech manual or something. I am not up on their system, but it is probably on line somewhere. In any case, it was practical and useful.

My intent is not to be a wet blanket or anything. But sometimes I can't stifle myself. Just to let you know, we have a long gravel lane to our house. It is a pia, but I have never once considered soil cement for my own place.

Hello

Thanks for all the great info! Like the stones for the woodchucks, my neighbor has one under his shed that he cannot get rid of!

Just picked up a white vinyl double glazed window with a screen that is 30" x 40" at the Habitat Homes ReStore in Lawrence for $30 smackarous! Is that a good price for that size window for New construction with the nailing flange?

See pics below
1st pic - Inside
2nd pic - Outside

Attachments

• TRHShedWindowInsideSC.jpg
    TRHShedWindowInsideSC.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,428
  • TRHShedWindowOursideSC.jpg
    TRHShedWindowOursideSC.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,423
Don2222 said:
Hello

Thanks for all the great info! Like the stones for the woodchucks, my neighbor has one under his shed that he cannot get rid of!

Just picked up a white vinyl double glazed window with a screen that is 30" x 40" at the Habitat Homes ReStore in Lawrence for $30 smackarous! Is that a good price for that size window for New construction with the nailing flange?

See pics below
1st pic - Inside
2nd pic - Outside

Thats an Awesome price...I am getting 4 for free but they are the old wooden ones.

Yes $30 is a good price. I did not know that place existed. I'm looking to replace my basement door. I may be checking that place out. Thanks for the info.

I would't pay 10 bucks for a vinyl window. Find a nice free wooden in the dumpster from some jokester who is molesting an old home. That 100 year old window will outlast your shed, but a vinyl one will start to fail in 5 years (if it's cheap) or 15 (if it's not).

Hello

Now I am leveling the shed blocks with a water Level. See pic

Just tamp in some stakes and mark a reference point on each stake that is the same height. Water seeks its own level!
Then measure down the same distance on each stake to the cement block and add stones underneath to adjust! Whala each block is now the same height!

In example I found the heighest block, then went down 7.5 inches from the mark on the stake for each block!! See yellow arrows.

Amazing, I did not realize how the ground slopes a tad! The water level is true!

Attachments

• TRHShedWaterLevelsc.jpg
    TRHShedWaterLevelsc.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 893
Hello

Well, got the Weed Block Pro down and a few more stones. Will now cover all with more stones!

Attachments

• TRHShedWeedBlock38sc.jpg
    TRHShedWeedBlock38sc.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 909
  • TRHShedWeedBlock40sc.jpg
    TRHShedWeedBlock40sc.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 929
  • TRHShedWeedBlock42sc.jpg
    TRHShedWeedBlock42sc.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 951
  • TRHShedWeedBlock44sc.jpg
    TRHShedWeedBlock44sc.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 966
Make sure you dig down and bury some hardware cloth about 10 to 12 inches deep at least one foot out from the shed and run it up the sides of the shed to keep the darn skunks out. They just love to den up under sheds and they are a PITA to get them out.

peakbagger said:
Make sure you dig down and bury some hardware cloth about 10 to 12 inches deep at least one foot out from the shed and run it up the sides of the shed to keep the darn skunks out. They just love to den up under sheds and they are a PITA to get them out.

What is hardware cloth?

Hello

Got more stone down. Only used 2 tons. Could use another ton atleast!

Attachments

• TRHShed46StoneSC.jpg
    TRHShed46StoneSC.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 2,887
Its galvanized screen with 3/8"x3/8" openings, available at any hardware store. The skunks and other critter's claws get caught in the mesh and it is rugged enough that they cant chew through it.

Looks good Don. I'm undertaking the same project this fall, and it looks like you're a few days ahead of me. I'm going 8x12 though. Wanted to go 10x12 but need a 10 foot setback in my town, so I had to downsize.

I laid down the 4x4s around the perimeter on Sunday and have 3.5 yards of gravel being delivered on Thursday (i'm filling the 19x20 area under and around the shed.

I'm hoping to set the blocks and build the floor this weekend. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress. Good luck.

Stegman said:
Looks good Don. I'm undertaking the same project this fall, and it looks like you're a few days ahead of me. I'm going 8x12 though. Wanted to go 10x12 but need a 10 foot setback in my town, so I had to downsize.

I laid down the 4x4s around the perimeter on Sunday and have 3.5 yards of gravel being delivered on Thursday (i'm filling the 19x20 area under and around the shed.

I'm hoping to set the blocks and build the floor this weekend. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress. Good luck.

Neato Stegman

Please post some pics as you go. I ended up getting another yard of stones so it took me 3.125 Tons or almost 3 yards!

I will post more pics to, Also do not forget to put the weed block fabric before the stones!

Status
Not open for further replies.