Shed is full for winter....4 cords....half and half

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmsem

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2014
New haven, Connecticut
This is about the best I could do coming into my second year of burning. Half the wood placed in the shed last January, half today after seasoning. Mostly Ash I'll be interested to see which side burns better. I'm splitting about 5 to 6 more cord right now which will bring the total somewhere up to 12 on hand ..... 20150927_193309.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tigger
Looks better this way than in your avatar ... empty! Getting ahead of the game for next year which is good to hear.;)

Reactions: davidmsem
Looks better this way than in your avatar ... empty! Getting ahead of the game for next year which is good to hear.;)
Last year (my first) was such a treat as I had 4 year old wood that was for my conventional fireplaces. It was SO EASY to burn. I'm guessing this year will not be as enjoyable. Got the plans for that shed here last year, then learned about burning and installed insert last year. Love this website!

Insert should be more effective than conventional fireplaces. Have you been scrounging, buying from a harvester/tree service or harvesting off your own land?

PS This forum would have been real helpful when I was a newbie with a Valley Comfort stove or the OWB ... lots of lessons learned the hard way.

Reactions: Seanm and davidmsem
Insert should be more effective than conventional fireplaces. Have you been scrounging, buying from a harvester/tree service or harvesting off your own land?

PS This forum would have been real helpful when I was a newbie with a Valley Comfort stove or the OWB ... lots of lessons learned the hard way.
Last December I harvested 8 trees from my property.....yielded 5 to 6 chords of mostly Ash. Last month my neighbor took down 14 trees and gave me the wood! I think that nice gesture will held 6 to 8 cords. After that I plan on purchasing logs from a lumber man around the corner.

I bet it is beautiful where you live!!! Your pellet stove seems like a good middle ground.....wood is much work! What do you do in Ontario?

Sounds like you have a great neighbour ... nice having wood that is close by but still doesn't eliminate the work.

NW Ontario is a beautiful place to live ... took a bit of getting used to compared to Buffalo/Niagara Falls area of NY where I grew up! Glad the wood boiler is a distant memory as I would end up with cutting and loading chores when Hubby was away. He used to be a commercial diver before he became a career firefighter. I ran herd on kids and held the fort. Seems a lot of my time has been spent keeping the elements at bay (heating/snow removal). Still is! I did enjoy summer beach duty though;)

New Haven holds a special place for my Uncle ... broke some swim records in the Yale pool back in the 50s (George Breen if you're curious). He loves the design of the building that houses the pool...

Reactions: davidmsem
Status
Not open for further replies.