Shed roof Chimney placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blisshunters

Mar 23, 2020
New York
Bought a shed roof/mono off grid cabin which has a Vogelz Frontier wood stove which we will be replacing - hate it.
Almost as much as I hate the location of the stove.
1st pic Cabin 320 sq ft shed roof.
2nd pic is the back of the cabin where the chimney is pretty much dead center. I'm standing where an addition bedroom /bath bringing it up to around 700 sq ft.
3rd pic is where I want the stove to be slightly off center to the left, out above the porch roof. The view from that porch over looks woods & a brook. Will be adding another window to the right of the wooden door. I want to sit on our coach watching the snow fall on the brook & a roaring fire warming my toes.
Every pic I've found online has the chimney mid roof.

So experts what say yee opinions ? Can I move the chimney ?

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 195
  • backcabin.jpg
    backcabin.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 206
  • porch.jpg
    porch.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 220
As long as you meet clearances, you can run the stack almost anywhere you want. I'd be running it straight up and through the roof though.

Reactions: Blisshunters
Straight up helps a lot with cleaning. You should be able to walk on the shed roof, pull the cap and drop in the brush. Put the stove where it belongs. It should be the focal point in the room, where it can be seen as you watch the snow fall and the birds on the feeders. Well that's what I do.

Yes, the chimney can be relocated. What do you hate about the Frontier? The current chimney looks short. I am wondering if that is affecting performance. It needs 15' of flue. A couple 90º turns in the flue path also slows down the draft which with the short chimney could be a detriment. Thus the good recommendation to go straight up through the roof.

How much vertical rise is there in the stovepipe indoors? Can you post an interior picture of the stove and stovepipe?

Straight up helps a lot with cleaning. You should be able to walk on the shed roof, pull the cap and drop in the brush. Put the stove where it belongs. It should be the focal point in the room, where it can be seen as you watch the snow fall and the birds on the feeders. Well that's what I do.

Exactly !

Yes, the chimney can be relocated. What do you hate about the Frontier? The current chimney looks short. I am wondering if that is affecting performance. It needs 15' of flue. A couple 90º turns in the flue path also slows down the draft which with the short chimney could be a detriment. Thus the good recommendation to go straight up through the roof.

How much vertical rise is there in the stovepipe indoors? Can you post an interior picture of the stove and stovepipe?

Previous owner became ill so it's about 75% completed. Yes he had all walls ceiling & underside of the floor spray foamed.
Yes that post is almost dead center.

R1201065_02.jpg
He was planning on drywall we are thinking shiplap with white wash finish. We are seniors so this will be our last home.
Relocated kitchen cabinets to the front of the cabin to the right of the French door (see pic on original post). I'm not a big fan of the window but it is where it is. Galley style kitchen with 2 bar stools on the other side of the counter. Open concept with a loft.
Didn't think to measure the indoor pipe rise especially after trying to use the stove.
1st thing I hate about it is no damper on it. Not on the door not below the door. No, it's controlled solely by the damper thingy on the pipe which btw is located just above the flue collar extremely hot (2nd hate). 3rd hate is it's ugly. I have a Jotul 602 CB with the lovely fire box window & those legs. 4th is I believe it to be too big even after the bedroom addition. 5th prefer a stove that holds heat longer like soapstone if possible. Carry us over til morning.
We did a quick clean out of the triple wall portion before having a fire. I agree the pipe looks short. I'll measure next time we go out.
Thanks everyone for the input. Really appreciate it.
ISjfr2ei3imv3w0000000000.jpg

Yes, agreed it's not a great stove for controllability. As tightly insulated as the cabin is, I suspect it's not going to need much heat once the space is warmed up. The smallest soapstone or cast iron stoves will still be putting out 8-10k btus on a low burn. A little Morso or Jotul may suffice. If you want soapstone, see if you can find the little Hearthstove Tribute.

Reactions: Blisshunters
2nd fire in the Frontier & another reason why I hate it - small cooking surface due to the placement of the flue collar.

As begreen, pointed out this is more stove than we need even after the bedroom/bathroom addition.
In order to run properly had to fill the fire box full & keep it full. Which meant the cabin was mid 80 degrees. Nice since I painted the plywood floor to prep for the laminate flooring.

Hubby drew the line in the sand ... refuses to have pipe threw the roof. Will mean moving side door
off the porch 3' to the right. Considering using the same type of door as is in the front of the cabin.
Will evenly disperse heat to both cabin & future bedroom. For now the stove will stay put.
He also just wants to bring our Jotul to the cabin if we are prioritizing projects based on cash flow. If the housing market takes a dive then may have to rent our city home. Diff don't want renters using the woodstove.
I'll take a look at that Tribute stove thank you for the suggestion.

Any thoughts on a Galvanized (metal roofing) for a heat shield ?
thumbnail.jpg

Some reading for hubby. His plan will cost a lot more and will take more to clean.

If cooking on the stove is a priority then a soapstone stove is not the best choice. Maybe try out the Jotul there instead.

Follow up : Still hate this stove but we made an easy mod to it which has helped. Bought a grate @ TS which elevates the woods allows for better air flow. Still need to occasionally brush away the ash blocking the air vents (sm circles below door opening).
Also now that it is colder here in the Enchanted Mountains the stove somewhat fits our need. 2 fires a day one in morning & one around 7 or 8 p.m. If it's good hard wood then other than kindling, one l good sized log works. Since our fires currently are of a short duration extended cooking let alone any kind of stovetop baking isn't happening.
Can't wait for Spring so we can start on the addition which means a different stove. Not to mention no more outhouse !
Thanks everyone for your advice.

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 80