Shelter SF3100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you remove the screws for the top panel and the 3 on each side of the front panel. That will allow you to lift the top up slightly and pull the front panel off. With the panel removed, look inside and see if you have further damage.
I need to remove both warped side panels, which they are going to replace. However, I'm not sure if that's feasible due the warpage.

Do you have an angle grinder? You could always use a cut off wheel. Even if you replaced the panels, you still have the cracks?

If you haven't already, remove all the outside panels and inspect all the welds. Would be shocked if you don't have a cracked weld.

What is weird is how much the SS warped as there is a sold ceramic brick behind the SS panel. I would have assumed that the ceramic brick would have helped the SS panel hold it's shaped.

Last... when you did have the unit working, were you able to achieve a 12-hour burn?

Do you have an angle grinder? You could always use a cut off wheel. Even if you replaced the panels, you still have the cracks?

If you haven't already, remove all the outside panels and inspect all the welds. Would be shocked if you don't have a cracked weld.

What is weird is how much the SS warped as there is a sold ceramic brick behind the SS panel. I would have assumed that the ceramic brick would have helped the SS panel hold it's shaped.

Last... when you did have the unit working, were you able to achieve a 12-hour burn?
I do have an angle grinder, great idea, thanks. I questioned that once I replace these with the new ones what will guarantee it from happening again. I was told that the newer panels would not warp. This maybe due to the ceramic back which the older model did not have. I would still a very hot base of coals after a 10-12 hr night.

I would still a very hot base of coals after a 10-12 hr night.

At that 10- 12 hr marker, is the distribution blower still cycling enough to keep the house warm? I can only get a max of 8 hours until the distribution blower no longer can keep up.

I am not sure.

That was in reference to an ongoing boiler issue that the company was adimate that the customer was wrong. Recently it was found to be a manufacturing defect.

It was sarcasm but, HY-C will continue to find reasons to blame the customer install. They are a crappy company with a worse product.

At that 10- 12 hr marker, is the distribution blower still cycling enough to keep the house warm? I can only get a max of 8 hours until the distribution blower no longer can keep up.
No, it is not. The draft motor is still running due to the thermostat calling for heat but that's it. I did reset the pin settings which helped with a little longer burn times.

This model came with 3 factory pin settings. One for when the distribution fan kicks on, one for when it kicks off, and a safety pin for when it gets too hot.

The high limit controller on the back. I am assuming you lowered the setting for when the distribution blower kicks on and kicks off?

The brick is an insulator. It just made the SS panel that much hotter and it melted into the firebox. They will bow into the fire because heat expands things and the hot side was towards the fire.

I do have an angle grinder, great idea, thanks. I questioned that once I replace these with the new ones what will guarantee it from happening again. I was told that the newer panels would not warp. This maybe due to the ceramic back which the older model did not have. I would still a very hot base of coals after a 10-12 hr night.

Do let us know what you discover. Assuming you might not be able to remove until you receive permission from HY-C.

If the unit has any cracks in the firebox, I would be shocked if they refused to replace the unit. Other then not being able to assist with extended heat output, I can’t complain with their support when it comes to replacing parts or the unit.

Tannerite + video = :)

;)

giphy.gif

Reactions: brenndatomu