Gcj Posted By Gcj, Mar 6, 2019 at 11:03 AM

1. Gcj

Gcj
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2019
    Loc:
    Michigan
    I have a 4mth old SF3100. I developed 2 cracks at the top of door on each side. I was told to send pictures of my set up. Once received they saw that a manual damper was installed on my chimney. Thet said that these caused the stove to over heat, hence the cracks. However, in the manual it recommends that a manual damper be installed. I am a little confused. Would the manual damper cause this problem?

Mrpelletburner likes this.
  2. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    There is no correlation between a manual damper and overfiring unless the furnace was overheated due to forgetting to close the manual damper in a high draft situation. Is there any other evidence of the furnace running at very high temperatures? If not, it might be a design issue. Are the door opening corners radiused or cut square?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    I have the Fire Chief FC1500 and after removing a side panel, I discovered the firebox had developed a crack. They replaced the unit without issue.

When was your unit built? Should state it on the top right side panel.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Gcj

Gcj
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2019
    Loc:
    Michigan
    I have extreme warping on both sides of the fire box.
    The door are slightly rounded at the corners.

5. Gcj

Gcj
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2019
    Loc:
    Michigan
    It was built in 2016. I bought it in August 2017.

6. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That sounds pretty bad. Is there any temperature monitoring devices on the unit or at least a thermometer on the door?

7. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass

IMG_1615.jpg IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_1585.jpg

8. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    You are not the first to have the front crack and I think the 2016/2017 units are going to be prone to cracks as they were still using spacer blocks to capture heat.

Assuming you have a tall chimney? Did you happen to measure the draft? The only other way to damage the firebox is to burn with the ash pan opened or burn lots of cardboard. Assuming they asked you if you did either?

Spacer welded to capture excess heat.
    IMG_1772.jpg IMG_1773.jpg

No spacer
    IMG_1768.jpg

9. Gcj

Gcj
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2019
    Loc:
    Michigan
    I have a thermometer on my chimney that never exceeds 350-400 degrees.

10. Gcj

Gcj
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2019
    Loc:
    Michigan
    I never burn anything other than wood. Until yesterday the only wood that was burned in it was ash.

11. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    There is no subtle way to say this - they are full of BS.

Fully, completely.

sloeffle, woodey and brenndatomu like this.
  12. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    Is temperature gauge measuring the surface or inner temperatures?

Can you describe your chimney setup, location (middle of the house or outside wall) and height?

Were you measuring the draft and tried to set via a manual damper?

From my experience, you would have to get that fire box glowing hot in order to really damage the unit. I still think this is an early unit and some early units have cracked.

Are they replacing the unit?

As unreliable as these units are, HY-C has been very good at standing by their product.

13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Yup, what maple said...100% full of crap...as in: running out of their ears full.
    A manual damper will only reduce draft, which reduces the firebox and flue temperatures too...a damper, manual or auto (barometric) will never increase draft (firebox/flue temperature)
    These guys at HY-C really need to go back to school...because this is "Chimney 101" stuff that they seem to not have one iota of understanding on...

sloeffle likes this.
  14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong...these things are a really poor design...and the manufacturer doesn't seem to understand how to install them so they don't over fire...which is what causes cracks in 4 months.

Mrpelletburner likes this.
  15. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    Any chance you can post up some photos of the damage?

16. Gcj

Gcj
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2019
    Loc:
    Michigan
    I thought I was missing something. I burned wood for the past 10 years with a hot blast always using the damper to adjust my fire. That is why I was confused with their explanation.

17. Gcj

Gcj
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2019
    Loc:
    Michigan
    Here are 3 pictures of the fire box.

Attached Files:

Highbeam likes this.
  18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    4. Months. Old. !!!!!!!!!
    Hey HY-C...if y'all readin this...this is what not controlling chimney draft does for ya! Buy a stinkin clue guys!
    Oh, and you guys owe this fellah a new furnace...:mad:

19. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    I am not a fan of the SS panels as mine are also warped, just not that bad.

Wonder if the panels were installed without the ceramic backing as they look folded in.

Willing to bet that the panels warped, allowing heat behind the panel and that is what cracked the firebox.

Hands down, they should replace that unit.

20. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    If you remove the screws for the top panel and the 3 on each side of the front panel. That will allow you to lift the top up slightly and pull the front panel off. With the panel removed, look inside and see if you have further damage.

21. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Wow, what a train wreck.

22. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2014
    Loc:
    Wisconsin Dells, WI
    Got that right!
    Hy-C, hands down, gives all of us entertainment here on this forum, unfortunately, at the expense of others. :(

Case1030 likes this.
  23. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    Is HY-C a division of Portage and Main?

Sounds like they same song and dance of the customer is always wrong...

Asking for a friend of course...

sloeffle likes this.
  24. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    Oh yeah, mine is extremely efficient now. Haven’t used this low amount of wood in years. It looks really good on the scrap pile too.

brenndatomu likes this.
  25. Gcj

Gcj
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2019
    Loc:
    Michigan
    I am not sure.