Lawson111 Posted By Lawson111, Jan 5, 2018 at 4:04 PM

1. Medic21

Medic21
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    Here is what I have found out with the SF1000 so far.

Do not load it with a good bed of coals when the stat is calling for heat with the inducer running nonstop. You will get the top of the door glowing like your talking about and burn through your wood in no time. Get the load charred with the door cracked and I watch the flue temps around 500 internal. Shut the blower off and let it heat up the house. Turn the blower back on when the temp Is raised to the stat setting. With ash, elm, and oak it holds a flue temp around 300 after that and the inducer does not come on for a couple hours. I can get 4-5 hours when it's below 10 degrees out and I have gotten 12 hours at 35 degrees out over night.

At the suggestion of another member I lowered the circulation fan on temp to 140 and it produces heat a good hour longer now. I have a bunch of larger splits, 8"-10" that fit three across with two layers in the fire box once it's going.

I am going to check the flue this weekend, calling for 50+ on Saturday. If I see a large creosote issue I'll let you know. Hope this helps. I'm very satisfied with the furnace even though it has some quirks I don't like.

KvnSwan likes this.
  2. Lawson111

Lawson111
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Upstate NY

What’s wrong with the magnetic ones? Are they low or high on temp? And with the one you suggested do you just drill a small hole in the pipe and place this in there?

3. 3fordasho

3fordasho
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 20, 2007
    Loc:
    South Central Minnesota
    I've had several of the magnetic ones on the same heated surface right next to each other and they can be 100-150F off from each other. On the surface of your connector pipe they might be ok on a single wall pipe, but useless on the double wall stuff (only thing I use). They are slow to respond to temperature changes, I've had flue temps on a Woodstock fireview go from 300f to 1000f in a matter of minutes on a reload or cold start when the bypass was open.

For the tel-tru probe thermometer I've simply drilled through both walls of the double wall connector pipe, just slightly larger than the diameter of the probe, then used a small dab of high temp silicon to seal it up and it's enough to hold it in place. The silicon is the bronze colored automotive type good for 700F+.

The tel-tru's have tracked well with the thermocouple / digital controller I've installed for more sophisticated control of flue temps.

I mentioned that I pegged one at 1000F and it was off after that, I forgot to say it was fixable, there is a calibration nut on the back, loosen it, put the probe in boiling water, set dial to 212F, fixed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Magnetic pipe temp guages are pretty well garbage IMO. They can be inaccurate from one to the next as last post says, and they greatly underestimate internal pipe temps. I have one, right beside a probe guage. The magnetic reads 100c less than the probe when burning. That might lead to someone trying to push up their pipe temp going by one of those, when it's already hot enough inside. So IMO they can also be dangerous, especially if combined with someone new at wood burning or with not-ideal practices or especially unseasoned wood.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Lawson111

Lawson111
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    My magnetic one is on single wall pipe. I use single wall pipe until it connects to my thimble. I did this because the heat that comes off the pipe is enough to keep the basement warm which keeps my floors warm.

I just put it in boiler water and it reads 25-50f hotter than boiling water. I can live with that...

6. Lawson111

Lawson111
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Upstate NY

Hmmm maybe I’ll buy the one @3fordasho suggested and give it a shot. It will be ok to install on single wall pipe right?

7. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Should be Ok yes.

If you do get it, post up some comparison numbers. We can add that to the 'hmm that's interesting' pile. :)

8. 3fordasho

3fordasho
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 20, 2007
    Loc:
    South Central Minnesota
    Yes it will work fine. I'd be less likely to use the high temp silicon to secure it on single wall, you might exceed the high temp rating. In my case the silicon is on the outer layer of the double wall that does not get near as hot.

Couple options to try, drill hole same size as probe diameter and hopefully a slight interference fit will be enough to secure, I've also taken a short length of brass threaded rod, maybe 3/4" long, drilled a hole thru for the probe, then tapped a hole in the pipe to match the treaded rod thread size.

9. Lawson111

Lawson111
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I’m a little confused on the threaded rod idea... could you explain more?

10. 3fordasho

3fordasho
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 20, 2007
    Loc:
    South Central Minnesota
    IMG_0427.JPG
    Ok, I've got to remember not everyone has access to a metal lathe :)

There are brass hose fittings that will work, I've something like this : https://www.mcmaster.com/#5346k11/=1b73hxf

and simply drilled out the center hole to match the diameter of the probe on the tel-tru. you'll need to tap your pipe for 1/8 pipe thread which is pretty common.

There is also a clip that comes with the tel-tru that is used to secure it to the big green egg grill.
    This could also be used but that clip would reside inside the pipe, so access is an issue and it could also collect fly ash or other build up.

11. tomtom85

tomtom85
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 28, 2016
    Loc:
    southern IN
    So is the sf1000 worth the money? thinking of putting one in this summer

12. Medic21

Medic21
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    So far, yes. Really hard to give an answer on that. We have had a colder than normal winter so with it being sized for the house on a normal winter it doesn't keep up like I'd like it to on the single digit nights and days. That said in the 20s daytime andnim getting 9-10 hour burns while I'm at work. I can go 6-8 hours at night in the teens. Our normal for this time of the year is 34 high and low 20s low.

That said it is clean and efficient. I have still used 30%-40% less wood this year. I also have used only about 50gal of propane since Jan. My only comparison though would be electric since I put the propane and central air in this last summer. My electric bills dropped from $600+ to $150. I'll post a complete pros and cons review this spring when I'm done burning.

Edited to change 100gal to 50gal. I had a 1000 tank forever now 500.