Shelter wood furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tjs0713

Aug 6, 2020
Indiana
Hello. Longtime browser of this forum - first time poster. I have had an old olix air flow wood stove in my current house for quite awhile. I loved it and it helped cut down on my energy bills tremendously. The wife and I sold our current house and bought a new to us, 1800 Sq Ft brick ranch. The house has a former garage that has been converted to an office and utility room. In this utility room is where the current gas furnace is sitting. Since we have bought this new to us house and the wife isn’t too keen on putting in another wood stove, I have been looking at getting a wood furnace. I have picked one out that I like at Menards. This is the link: https://www.menards.com/main/heatin...up-to-2-000-sq-ft/sf1000e/p-1559025091751.htm
My questions are as follows:
1. I know the most common installation is to connect this furnace to my existing duct work that would be shared with my existing duct work. What about connecting this to a separate duct work system that would operate completely separate? Would that be possible?

2. if I connect this to a separate duct work system, do I run the new ductwork through the crawl or would it be possible to run it through the attic?

3. For the new ductwork, would it be possible
to just run one trunk to the far end of the house and then have a couple flex duct lines running into other parts Along the way?

thanks in advance to anyone’s insight/expertise on the matter

Howdy...1st things first...better research that furnace before you throw away your money...there are a ton of threads on 'em

This is the EPA model and the reviews I’d read so far were pretty good - have any links to reviews?

Last edited:
Howdy...1st things first...better research that furnace before you throw away your money...there are a ton of threads on 'em

I thought their 2020 Epa test had to be redone? Shelter/ Firecheif..

Also not much 2020 options for the guy in the USA other than the Kuuma, which most people aren't willing to shell out 6k.

This is the EPA model
Yup, that's the one...they actually HAD decent furnaces before they tried to make a clean burn firebox.
the reviews I’d read so far were pretty good - have any links to reviews?
Where did you find those?
The "reviews" that people have given here could be used to be used to convict HY-C corp. (parent company of FC/Shelter) in court!

Also not much 2020 options for the guy in the USA other than the Kuuma, which most people aren't willing to shell out 6k.
Yes...it is still being hashed out...the test labs have been backlogged for the last couple years with everybody trying to get ready for the 2020 phase 2 certs...and CV19 has not helped matters one bit in that regard! They are still going to have retest...all their feet dragging has only delayed the matter a little...but in the meantime they continue to pedal their wares...so I guess their plan is working...I still think the CPSC needs to step in here!

As for wood furnace options at this point...I hear that we may be able to buy leftover pre 2020 models for a period here this fall due to the CV19 shutdown during the spring when everybody was trying to sell the last of their pre 2020 inventory...and it appears that SBI still has some Tundra II's in stock...they are still selling them in Canada.
Also, SBI claims to have 2020 certified models (T3?) to release this fall too...but that's all I know about that.

Reactions: sloeffle
Last edited:

these are the two places I’d read about them. I’d also read a post the arborist but having issues finding it now

these are the two places I’d read about them. I’d also read a post the arborist but having issues finding it now
The first link is older...ask @Medic21 what he thinks about the SF1000 now.
The second link is not a real review IMO...more like paid advertising disguised as a "review"

Reactions: sloeffle and woodey
What would be one that you and others would recommend then? I’m not wanting to break the bank, so trying to keep it around 2k or less. Spending 4 or more is close enough to buying an outdoor boiler that I’d rather do that if that’s the only way to get a good wood furnace

Well, as of right now, the Kuuma VF 100 is the only wood furnace available...and almost triple your budget...it is the best of the best though.
As I mentioned before...it is possible that the EPA is going to let companies sell pre 2020 units for a month or so this fall to make up for lost time on the "sell through" period back in the spring. (CV19) the one you'd want is the Drolet Tundra II...although still a bit over 2k.
They will probably be offering a Tundra III then too, but that will be a new unproven model, and likely more money.
Your only other option is to buy used...which technically is not allowed by the new laws, but it is still being done commonly...it's going to take some time until (if) this actually gets enforced.

To answer your other questions, no ducts in the attic...and any that go in a crawlspace will need to be well insulated.
Installing a separate duct system is fine though...

I don't think I would want to go either up through an attic, or down through a crawlspace. Of the two, I would likely go down with well insulated proper duct work, and an emergency heat dump coming up off the furnace. Bad things can happen with downward ducting when the power goes out with a fire going.

And you also need to make sure on proper ductwork - a wood furnace has need for better stuff than a gas furnace. I would also avoid flex.

What would be one that you and others would recommend then? I’m not wanting to break the bank, so trying to keep it around 2k or less. Spending 4 or more is close enough to buying an outdoor boiler that I’d rather do that if that’s the only way to get a good wood furnace

I think 4k is a very long way from enough to buy and also install a good outdoor boiler.

Of the two, I would likely go down with well insulated proper duct work, and an emergency heat dump coming up off the furnace. Bad things can happen with downward ducting when the power goes out with a fire going.
I would also avoid flex.

Good points...the bad thing is that as of last winter it seems nobody makes a ready made emergency heat dump anymore...easy enough to DIY though.

Flex duct doesn't have the temp requirements needed for wood heat...or coal.
I think 4k is a very long way from enough to buy and also install a good outdoor boiler.
Boiler, plus install...yeah, $4k probably is only 1/3 to 1/4 of the total cost.

Far and away the cheapest way to get wood heat in the house is going to be a wood stove...unless you can buy a Tundra II (used or new)

I did all my own work on my system and 4K wouldn't buy the boiler,i spent more than that on my lines

Is there an actual rule against attic ducting?

Is there an actual rule against attic ducting?
Not really...if you can meet CTC...but unless you insulate the crap out of it, it won't work worth a darn.
And attic ducting doesn't allow you to gravity flow for power outages either...but just as with the crawlspace ducting, that could be fixed with an emergency heat dump...if you can make, or have one made...

"Your only other option is to buy used...which technically is not allowed by the new laws, but it is still being done commonly...it's going to take some time until (if) this actually gets enforced."
The EPA regs only apply to new wood heaters installed to a residence.
I'm not aware of any EPA regs on used units.

"Your only other option is to buy used...which technically is not allowed by the new laws, but it is still being done commonly...it's going to take some time until (if) this actually gets enforced."

I thought the regs made it illegal to sell a used non-EPA unit?

But I don't really know.

Ahh, yeah that's right...that part was pulled then...no laws on used...yet.

I would never buy anything made by HY-C again.
Meh, they make decent chimney cleaners (Sooteater) guess that's what they are good at, making stoves that plug chimneys, and the tools to clean them! ;lol

The NSPS is online for anyone to read, it's only about 360+ pages lol. :)
But basically it's for new residential wood burners.
Used, commercial, coal is exempt.
The confusing thing is some states have more stringent regulations, some have none. In VA where I'm at we have none, I think Oregon requires scrapping old units (no used sales).
Reminds me of the fireworks regs.

Reactions: Case1030