ShelterLogic Seasoning Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverik869

Apr 8, 2014
CT
Hello Everyone.

I have been lurking on this site for almost a year and after lots of research, and peoples reviews on this site, I finally dove in and bought a Blaze King Princess Insert. I bought it had it installed by my local dealer and I am planning to use it to heat the house (about 1200 sqft) this upcoming winter. I am new to the wood burning, and per your instructions, already have about 6 cords split and stacked. About 1.5 of those are Ash I split last August and another half a cord is Oak that was seasoned for about 3 years(Craiglist find). The rest of my wood is white oak that was split and stacked April-June of this year.

I was thinking about possibly building a solar kilt or figuring out what is the best way to speed up the seasoning of the Firewood so I will have enough seasoned for this winter. I am told I will need about 2.5 cords for the season. So this morning I was browsing the web and stumbled onto this ShelterLogic Firewood Seasoning Shed.

http://www.amazon.com/ShelterLogic-90395-5-5-Ounce-Seasoning-5-Feet/dp/B00HF4D6B4

Has anyone bought one or have any experience with this product? It looks very interesting and price is not too bad all things considered. Also they make them in 3 different sizes (1/2, 3, or 7 Cords) and per their brochure each size is built to hold either standard wood racks or pallets. Looking forwarding to hearing your comments on this!

1200 sq.ft, brand new BK, 6 cords CSS, 2 cords ready now. I don't see the need. I would look at insulation/air sealing to keep those precious BTU's in your house longer.

1200 sq.ft, brand new BK, 6 cords CSS, 2 cords ready now. I don't see the need. I would look at insulation/air sealing to keep those precious BTU's in your house longer.
This makes sense to me. Two cords should be enough if your house is pretty tight and you can burn the stove low most of the time. Besides, I'm wondering if moisture can escape from that shed fast enough and I don't know how long it would hold up with the sun beating on it. In your position, I might look for a soft Maple score, stack it single-row in a good drying spot, and it should be pretty good later if your initial two cords are running low.

Reactions: TimJ
I think your wood will dry just as good outside in the fresh air with the top of the stacks covered.

I agree with the others, no need to buy a shelter specific for drying. You might be fine with just 2 cords, but if it was me I'd try to find another cord of soft maple or ash. Either should be fine to burn by this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.