Shiny, Bubbly Creosote in Back of Firebox...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Okay, I have just learned one thing and now something else pops up as a result...

Have been packing and loading stove successfully and getting 6 hour burn times with air 75% shut and temps. 600* up to 750* at the top before they begin to back off as load burns.

Before burning like this I was burning 3 splits at a time - lots of air to circulate in firebox. Bricks would burn clean and glass too.

Well, just had a load burn down and bricks in the back were dark brown and there was black, bubbly creosote sticking to the metal in the middle of the firebox. Burn temps. were high and wood 20% moisture or lower...same stuff I've been burning all winter. Bricks on side of fire box clear and glass clear.

I can understand darkened bricks in the back due to less air circulation and heat but I do not like seeing shiny creosote and only hope flue is ok. (Chimney sweep here last week and all was clear then but now I wonder.....)

So, what am I doing wrong?

Can I expect this to burn itself off next fire and just open air up more as fire progresses so it burns more thoroughly?

How do you manage long burns with air shut down as far as it can go without creosote in your firebox?

Thanks.

Burn once a day hot. Open up the air a bit more and let it rip. I do this with the first in the morning burn. It gets the stove warmed up and cleans out any accumulations.

BeGreen said:
Burn once a day hot. Open up the air a bit more and let it rip. I do this with the first in the morning burn. It gets the stove warmed up and cleans out any accumulations.

If your smoke free out your stack under these conditions and your happy with the heat output then follow BeGreens lead. It does look like perfect conditions for operating a CAT stove in the shoulder seasons. Just be careful not to cause a stove fire. :shut:

If it's only happened once, I'd chalk it up to a 'punky' piece of wood. Maybe one piece had a big pocket of sap or water or something grew into the tree or who knows what. I don't think there is any danger to the flue from one dirty burn. May be something to keep an eye out for if it becomes a recurring problem, though.

Thanks for the replies.

Think I will do the hot fire in the AM. Serves 2 purposes. Heats things up faster, the insert and the room, and makes the following full load take off faster.

Glad to know my flue is probably ok. Someone should invent a transparent flue for us worry warts. :eek:hh:

I heard that for every 24 hours you burn you need to burn one of those hours good and HOT. Wide open if you will. I do like BeGreen but my "hot" time is around 4pm.

north of 60 said:
Just be careful not to cause a stove fire. :shut:

That thought did cross my mind but I figured it would be self limiting because, while there was visible shiny creosote, the accumulation was minimal and in one area only - not the entire firebox.

trafick said:
I heard that for every 24 hours you burn you need to burn one of those hours good and HOT. Wide open if you will. I do like BeGreen but my "hot" time is around 4pm.

When you say HOT, what temps are you talking?

it sounds to me like that might be where your stove chooses to warm up the secondary air? If so, then it has the accumulation since it's cold and in the firebox.

My firebricks are nice and white, but this piece of metal in the back of my stove looks similar to what you are describing because of the cold air.

pen

My summit fan pulls air off the back of the stove and causes this, I run the fan way less than I used to, only when the stove top is at 300 or so, probably should be 400.

perplexed said:
north of 60 said:
Just be careful not to cause a stove fire. :shut:

That thought did cross my mind but I figured it would be self limiting because, while there was visible shiny creosote, the accumulation was minimal and in one area only - not the entire firebox.

I think the original comment was a joke? Regardless, by running your stove hot daily you'll burn off creosote, and make sure a major fire's not waiting somewhere to happen the next time you run your stove hot. One guy did that by burning pine twigs (expressly forbidden), and heating his stove over his usual temps--roar went his chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.