Shoe brick install on a Harman Oakwood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I dug up an old 2014 discussion on the shoe brick for this wood stove but its closed to further comments. So here goes.

We recently serviced our stove with a new chamber and gaskets, put a video on YT. The shoe brick is cracked. I pulled it out to inspect it, having never removed it before. I put it back in place after cleaning just as I found it, awaiting a replacement brick. Someone commented I put the shoe brick in upside down. Here is how I took it out and put it back. Is the person who made the comment right or wrong? I just want to be sure the stove is assembled correctly. Thanks.

I dug up an old 2014 discussion on the shoe brick for this wood stove but its closed to further comments. So here goes.

We recently serviced our stove with a new chamber and gaskets, put a video on YT. The shoe brick is cracked. I pulled it out to inspect it, having never removed it before. I put it back in place after cleaning just as I found it, awaiting a replacement brick. Someone commented I put the shoe brick in upside down. Here is how I took it out and put it back. Is the person who made the comment right or wrong? I just want to be sure the stove is assembled correctly. Thanks.

Yup you have it in wrong

Reactions: Jim Barry
Swapped it around this morning. It only took a couple of minutes to clean out the ash first, then tilt the shoe brick back, pull it out, clean the ashes from the part it drops into, and back in place. I used a business card to scrape up the ash and remove it. The gasket I had placed at the bottom was very fragile. Surprised at that considering I only put it there a little while ago. Good to go now though.