Shopping for a new wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Labmad49

Aug 8, 2021
Alaska
Hello All,

I've been poking around on the site and have learned quite a bit so far. My husband and I are going to be replacing the wood stove that came in our house, an Englander. They purchases is at Lowe's, as I understand.

The previous owners heated the house elusively with wood. Though the did install radiant heat prior to moving out, they never used the system. The source for that system is heating oil, which is operated by a Toyo.

In the 2 winters we have been here, we pretty much kept a fire going in the little Englander 24/7. It helps offset the cost of heating oil and frankly, we like the heat too. Though sometimes, it will cook me out of my own house. While not a bad little stove, you need to feed it regularly. My husband is pretty great about this, me not so much. I forget.up in the Alaskan bush (off the road system), so he knows about life with a wood stove. My family grew up using one as needed or when we wanted to.

Our house is a 2,000 ranch located in South Central Alaska. The wood stove sits nearly in the middle of the house, is a kind of semi-divided great room. There are 2 bedrooms/bathrooms behind the stove, a family room and dog room that sit on the other side of the house. Winters here are range from 35 F to -30F. Our area will get a NE wind often, which broad sides the house. A comfortable temp for us in the winter is 68-72 degrees, of course, that depends on what the outside temps are too.

We are a little overwhelmed by all the wood stove choices, some of which are not available in Alaska. Husband would like a catalytic or hybrid stove due to the long burn. I want something that is practical and attractive. I think they can be one in the same.

Blaze Kings are on our list. I am not sure we could go wrong with any of their models. We were also looking at Hearthstone Heritage, as I like the soapstone look and the side door, but I after reading up on the Hearthstone Heritage, I am not so sure about it now. It seems to not perform as well as a primary heat source, the soapstone heat "goes up the chimney" instead of the room, and has the potential to crack. Lopi was another brand we were looking at.

Is there any other models out there we should consider? Any comments on the above are welcome too.

Thanks!

With that criteria I would look at Blaze King and Regency stoves and stick to steel.

Reactions: EbS-P
What is your chimney? Height, diameter?

Then you'd need to add length of you want to consider a Blaze King.

Then you'd need to add length of you want to consider a Blaze King.
What do you mean at length? Why would we need to do that? Per my conversation the other day with the dealer, we would need to use use double wall pipe anyhow, so our chimney would get replaced anyhow.

Blaze King stoves need 15 ft of flue (if no bends and horizontal sections) to function properly.

What do you mean at length? Why would we need to do that? Per my conversation the other day with the dealer, we would need to use use double wall pipe anyhow, so our chimney would get replaced anyhow.
Is your chimney single wall now?

I suggest to download a manual and see what is required. Better to know what BK says than what a dealer says.

Minimum 15 ft insulated what is recommended.

I suggest to download a manual and see what is required. Better to know what BK says than what a dealer says.

Minimum 15 ft insulated what is recommended.
Are you meaning 15' from top of stove to the top of the chimney outside? Or just the internal portion?

Is that 12' straight up or through the wall and up?
That was was my best guess of the chimney portion inside the house. I am not sure of the total length from stove top to the tippy top. I would wager it's at least 15'. We can go taller if needed.

That was was my best guess of the chimney portion inside the house. I am not sure of the total length from stove top to the tippy top. I would wager it's at least 15'. We can go taller if needed.
Ok just for clarity. The section from the stove to the ceiling is not referred to as chimney that is connector or stove pipe. Once it hits the ceiling it should switch to chimney pipe. But that stove pipe still counts for overall height. That is measured from the stovetop to the very top of the chimney

Reactions: stoveliker
Oh, ok. I see your point. Per the above comment, BK recommends 15" TOTAL, including the stove pipe. Am i understanding that right?

Oh, ok. I see your point. Per the above comment, BK recommends 15" TOTAL, including the stove pipe. Am i understanding that right?

Yes

Next thing is to check around for availability.

Get the largest capacity model that has a 6" flue collar. If she wants something attractive, go for the BK Ashford 30.2. Otherwise consider the Princess. In Regency stoves this would be the F3500.

Get the largest capacity model that has a 6" flue collar. If she wants something attractive, go for the BK Ashford 30.2. Otherwise consider the Princess. In Regency stoves this would be the F3500.
She (me) does want something attractive. I like the look of the Ashford. The Princess could work too, but I do like the look of the Ashford more. We have a Victorian Tin Ceiling surround, so I want something that will go along with that aesthetic. As long as hubby get's his wants met, efficiency and a catalytic, he will be happy.

I am a bit skeptical of the Hearthstone now because it's their first year with a Catalytic stove model. BK has been doing them for years. I'm also looking at the Woodstock ones, which surprisingly, we can get shipped to AK and not have to sell body parts to afford.

I don't think we have any Regency dealers here in Alaska, none that the website are pointing me towards at least.

I own a regency. If your not seeing any dealerships in your area I wouldn’t bother pursuing one. They are good stoves but I have found my dealer takes for ever to get parts. My converter burnt out and it turns out, is only available at a huge
Expense, at snail speed through regency. Happy shopping!

Reactions: RussT
I own a regency. If your not seeing any dealerships in your area I wouldn’t bother pursuing one. They are good stoves but I have found my dealer takes for ever to get parts. My converter burnt out and it turns out, is only available at a huge
Expense, at snail speed through regency. Happy shopping!
That is your dealer not regency. Their cat pricing is in the same range as other manufacturers.

Reactions: RussT