Short chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justsomedude

Jan 14, 2016
Nashville, TN
So.....
I'm getting ready to have a nice Regency Hearth insert installed correctly by a qualified installer. Insulated liner up through the chimney etc..

I am also looking at putting a cheap stove in my basement garage.
On that one i would be using a through the wall chimney kit.
It isn't practical for me to run it up above the roofline but it would be on a corner.

Is it just a matter of trial and error and/or depending upon wind conditions or am I guaranteed to have drafting problems?
Should I plan to get a Vacu Stack?

Thanks!
John

Check w/ your local building dept to see if stoves are allowed in garages in your area. Many state they are not so you may have a safety and insurance issue.

If allowed the stove manual should give a minimum height. Then it's a matter of adhering to the 10/2 rule. First the chimney has to be 3' higher than the roof where it penetrates and 2' higher than anything within 10'. After that local conditions like trees or an adjacent roof etc may or may not effect performance.

I think I'm good with having the stove codes-wise.
It's a soon to be finished basement that is ground level on 2 sides.
I'm framing over the garage doors, insulating.....need some heat though.

I might need to look for another way to run the chimney though.
I'm checking with my Stove installer to see if we have enough room to chase both liners up my existing chimney.

A little more detail....

It's a two-story house on a slanted lot.
The basement is above ground on one side and the back.
The Fireplace is pre-fab with a frame and drywall chase going up inside the house in a vaulted living room.
The chase currently has a 9" pipe. Previous owners burned vent free gas logs.
There is a convenient spot below the fireplace in the basement to set up the 2nd stove but I don't know that there is enough space in the chimney.

I getting 35' feet of liner for my main floor stove.
It would cost quite a bit to run a second one from 9 or 10' lower (or to run a through-the-wall chimney up above the roof line).

Should I scrap the idea of having the Stove in the basement or is it worth trying to run it with a shorter Chimney?
Like...is the "10/2 Rule" a rule or is it a 'serving suggestion'?

THANKS
John

Should I scrap the idea of having the Stove in the basement or is it worth trying to run it with a shorter Chimney?
Like...is the "10/2 Rule" a rule or is it a 'serving suggestion'?
Yes it is a rule how would you run a shorter chimney? Are you talking about stopping the chimney short of the roof? That is a good way to set your house on fire.

There is a convenient spot below the fireplace in the basement to set up the 2nd stove but I don't know that there is enough space in the chimney.
You would need the same chimney inside that chase that you would if you run outside the house. And due to installing it in an existing chase it would end up costing allot more.

Now about the insert what make and model zeroclearance fireplace do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.