Shorten Horizontal Flue Run?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob From Wisconsin

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
East-Central Wisconsin
Finally disecting my stove/flue setup, and looking
for ways to improve my draft. In the process of my
evaluation, I noted that my horizontal flue run was
almost 24". With a little bit of re-engineering, I
determined that I could take about 6" off of that
horizontal run, putting it under 18".
Is this worth my time? Will I see that much of a
draft improvement?? Possibly a 25% increase in draft,
or would it be non-linear? Anyone with any personal
experience on doing this??

Rob

You can also put some double wall black pipe in the place of the single wall, and you wont loose as much heat out of that elbow. And of course you can always put another section of class A on the outside to get your stack a little taller and improve draft.

MountainStoveGuy said:
You can also put some double wall black pipe in the place of the single wall, and you wont loose as much heat out of that elbow. And of course you can always put another section of class A on the outside to get your stack a little taller and improve draft.
Thanks for the advice, but I'm already using Double Wall Stove Pipe.
Adding more chimney is expensive & may require additional support.
I'm looking for the biggest bang for my buck.
Also looking at the rule of 1' horiz. = loss of 5 to 10' vert.

Rob

Is there space to replace the two 90 deg bends with two 45 degree bends, to turn the horizontal run into a sloped one? When I had an old coal stove replaced with a wood stove, the installer redid the stovepipe and eliminated a 2 foot horizontal run by using 45 degree bends...

pmac said:
Is there space to replace the two 90 deg bends with two 45 degree bends, to turn the horizontal run into a sloped one? When I had an old coal stove replaced with a wood stove, the installer redid the stovepipe and eliminated a 2 foot horizontal run by using 45 degree bends...
No, unfortunately not - going through a basement cement wall.

Rob

elkimmeg said:
Look at it this way, If you are also improving the pitch you will be improving the draft Minium code 1/4"
pitch per ft. the more verticle you can make your run the better it will draft. Premis here hot air rises.
In a horizontal run smoke uses the top part of the pipe diameter first and most ot the time that is all it uses.
Smoke assends in a spiral path Horizontal runs prevent the spiral from occuring using the full diameter. It only
builds up speed and monentum when it enters the Verticle rise. Longer verticle runs are required for this to happen.
As it assencds gaining monentum, it draws the smoke threw the horrizontal portion. If you can shorten the horizontal
part and increase it more verticle you will be increasing draft. Mountain Stove Guy is corect, to point out that a possible
extention would increase the verticle rise length and too enhance your draft. I do not know what percentage improvement
the effects will have going more verticle and shortening the horizontal run

So if I understand you correctly, I can "slant" my horizontal run of stove pipe by
a 1/4" per foot of horiz. run?? If so, I can see where this could somewhat help
my draft. How much, I would be interested to see...Thanks!!

Rob

check the shops around town that sell your brand of chimney, alot of times pieces come in freight damaged (dinged on the outside) and they might sell you a piece 1/2 of retail or give it to you, we get credit from the manufactures anyway. (at least i do) . At my shop i give it to needy people. If your using simpson duravent, i will ship you one next time i get one if you pay the ups of course.
A little extra support is not hard. Nothing that cant be acclompished with a little holy iron and conduit. Cheap Cheap Cheap.
RYan

Elk, The force you are talking about, the coriolis effect, is real, but it only measurably effects the rotation of very large bodies, ie Oceans, weather systems. The swirling you see in your sink or tooilet is strictly due to the design of the container. It is also a myth that toilets swirl in opposite direstions in north/south hemisphere. I'm not saying the smoke doesn't swirl up a chimney, but it isn't caused by the coriolis effect.

Rob,

I cut off 6" of horizontal run last year and didn't notice any difference in my draft, but my draft was good to begin with. I cut the pipe so I could move the stove back on the hearth for more room to sit on. I guess it couldn't hurt. The straighter the better.

elkimmeg said:
Unless you can verify it does not and back it up with a creditable source it is time to move on from any pissing war. Personal attacks on my gramar is a weak position which does not validate your position.

Personal attacks are a smoke screen of either a week arguement or no valid point at all. Get over it and move on

I too have assumed from many years of reading and observing that smoke travels up a round flue in a circular direction - I suppose in the real world it is something quite messier than that, some might go up straight thru the center while other does a dance around the inside, etc.

But if I am not wrong, this theory has been verified by scientists within our and other industries. It will be relatively simple to confirm this, as I think we have some thermodynamic engineers here...and, if not, I can talk to some of the rocket scientists I know at the test labs, etc.

Of couse, someone here can build a glass chimney and then give it a go and videotape it!

Dylan said:
I'll say to you what I said to Elk, ie, warm gases SHOULD ascend a conduit in a spiral motion IN A PERFECT LAB, but in reality, they don't. The perimeter cooling creates eddies and vagaries in the fluid shear strength (of the gas, that is) which destroy any noticeable (by our means, anyway) spiralling.

Well, that seems a lot different or simply better of an explanation......So you agree that in theory they should spiral, and probably do to some extend, but are messed up (as I mentioned) by a number of factors. I think we can agree on this as the everyday truth, as it has been confirmed by one of the top experts on chimneys, Mr. John Gulland. Here is what he had to say:

--------------------
As I learned over twenty years ago by hanging out with the
slightly looney Phd aerodynamicist in the research division
of Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp., everything to do with
air pressures and flows is complicated and messy, so I'm not
sure there is a simple yes or no answer to that question. I
suspect what you have is a ragged, swirling mixture rising
in the chimney, with lots of eddys and currents, and that
whether those eddys and currents get organized into a swirl
all in one direction has to do with the surface
characteristics of the flue.

The behavior of a plume of hot gas rising, for example, from
a well-built bonfire in perfectly still air doesn't suggest
to me that there is a normally present force that tends to
organize the plume into a 'unidirectional swirl' (if I may
put it that way). As I recall it sometimes swirls and
sometimes doesn't, but it is always fairly random and messy.
I don't know of a technical paper that weighs in on the
question of swirl or not in a flue. I have certainly heard
sweeps and other non-scientific experts confidently express
the view that a plume rises in a swirl inside the chimney,
but I never took the issue seriously enough to investigate
it thoroughly.

If I had to guess, I'd guess it is a crapshoot whether the
plume swirls in one direction or not.
------------------------------------------------------------

So, again, it appears that is sometimes swirls and sometimes not. It may swirl in one direction......as John said, it's a crapshoot - a gamble.....

We sure aren't going to solve it here, although I would say that it is not wrong to assume that smoke swirls within a round chimney although not always in an organized fashion.

I would also suggest that insults and such things have only to do with the swirling of egos, and nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Dylan said:
Elk,

I'll bet my money that a circular flue is no better than a rectangular flue, unless of course, your plan was to 'face' the flue in a circular fashion. Since most masons build rectangular (or square) chimneys (in cross-section) they obviously have discovered that more cross-sectional area is defined by non-circular flue tiles. As to their corners being rounded, that's purely for manufacturing and strength purposes.

Let's lose the myths.

This one is not a myth. Square flues exist only because these tile can easily stack in the brickyard and also easily be built with square brick and block. This is why you will never see a square pre-manufactured chimney.

Even in the matter of air ducting, the rectangular ducts are to save basement and other headroom, as you can easily see when you look at large HVAC projects - the ducts are all round.....

It is very well known by the modern crop of masons (I am writing from the chimney sweep trade show now, where many of them are in training) that round flues are the way to go for better operation. In Europe you will notice many, if not most chimneys with round flues. Premade units such as Isokern all use round flues as do poured reliners.

So, assuming this is the subject actually being discussed, round is better than square in the subject of flues and stovepipes. Of course, round is also of greater strength.

craig

MountainStoveGuy said:
check the shops around town that sell your brand of chimney, alot of times pieces come in freight damaged (dinged on the outside) and they might sell you a piece 1/2 of retail or give it to you, we get credit from the manufactures anyway. (at least i do) . At my shop i give it to needy people. If your using simpson duravent, i will ship you one next time i get one if you pay the ups of course.
A little extra support is not hard. Nothing that cant be acclompished with a little holy iron and conduit. Cheap Cheap Cheap.
RYan

Thanks for the offer, by my chimney is Excel brand, although I use Simpson Duravent
for my upstairs stove - works great & drafts like a bandit, and very reasonably priced.
I will use it in the future when we move & build our next house.
Thanks again....

Rob

Dylan said:
craig
I'll say to you what I said to Elk, ie, warm gases SHOULD ascend a conduit in a spiral motion IN A PERFECT LAB, but in reality, they don't. The perimeter cooling creates eddies and vagaries in the fluid shear strength (of the gas, that is) which destroy any noticeable (by our means, anyway) spiralling.

Dylan, your wording is very close to correct except that you say in reality they don't and there is no noticeable spiraling. I have personally witnessed spiraling both in chimneys and in as simple as the smoke coming up off a cigarette. So I accept John Gullands answer as the most accurate - that is a crapshoot - a gamble, a sometimes, a possibility - not that it does or does not happen.

BUT, keep in mind that virtually all EPA an lab testings are bases on this "PERFECT" theory, such as certain chimney draft, certain wood, perfect lab, etc. -

So, in summary I would say that the collective bunch of us needs to look at our smoke for awhile and see what's up! I should have asked the vacu-stak guys at the convention I just attended....one of them worked on the manhattan project and nuclear subs....and now chimneys for 34 years - maybe he knows!

Hey, if we can make certain that the liner flex makers have their ridges the correct way for the part of the earth we live on, maybe the spiral pipe can help instead of hurt - I can see it now - NEW RIFLED CHIMNEYS.......get's that smoke out quickly and accurately.

Elk, I'm waiting for a physicist to weigh in on that toilet effect thing. Only place I ever saw that was on the Simpsons and although the show is sometimes accurate, I would not want to use it for codes.

"The direction of rotation in draining sinks and toilets is NOT determined by the rotation of the Earth, but by rotation that was introduced earlier when it was being filled or subsequently being disturbed (say by washing). The rotation of the Earth does influence the direction of rotation of large weather systems and large vortices in the oceans, for these are very long-lived phenomena and so allow the very weak Coriolis force to produce a significant effect, with time."

It is a myth that water spins in different directions on each side of the equator....however, it is truthful that when we have summer here, they have winter and so on..... :coolgrin:

not p/c not p/c not p/c

Hardly pc but true and funny, so take it that way.
I was talking with my granddaughter the other day about Internet chat rooms and forums. We both agreed that it is frustrating to be seeking information and have alleged informed posters reply and turn a simply question into a pissing match.
That is when she said, “winning an argument on the Internet is like winning a gold metal in the Special Olympics. You won so what: your still a retard.”

not p/c not p/c not p/c

I’ll bet my money that a circular flue is no better than a rectangular flue, unless of course, your plan was to ‘face’ the flue in a circular fashion. Since most masons build rectangular (or square) chimneys (in cross-section) they obviously have discovered that more cross-sectional area is defined by non-circular flue tiles. As to their corners being rounded, that’s purely for manufacturing and strength purposes.

Let’s lose the myths.

How much money are we talking?

It's pretty common knowledge that laminar flow in square or rectangular tubes experiences more pressure loss than that in round pipes. But you probably won't take my word for it.

So,
There is more wall surface. The ratio of the stack wall perimeter to the total stack cross sectional area is greater on a rectangular duct than on a circular stack. Therefore, the region influenced by wall effects is greater on a rectangular duct--more wall, more wall effects.

Wall effects are more intense in the corners. Wall effects on rectangular ducts would also be expected to play a larger role on a rectangular duct because of the impact of the corners. In the corners, the velocity drop off is greater because the flow is impacted by viscous shear stresses from velocity gradients in two planes (corresponding to the adjoining walls) as opposed to one plane elsewhere.

Courtesy of:

Impact of Wall Effects on Flue Gas Velocities in Rectangular Ducts and Recommended Revisions to EPA Reference Method 2H

Stephen K. Norfleet & Robert E. Barton, RMB Consulting & Research, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.