Should I add a rise to the pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kyguylal

Oct 6, 2018
New Hampshire
Hello all,

For some background,

We recently bought a house in NH with an existing pellet stove.

The house is bout 3,600 SF in total and about 2,500 SF of finished, heated area. The stove is cornered in an open concept floor with 14' ceilings.

I am trying to add some supplemental heat for about an 1,800 SF with an Englander 25-PVDC. I realize this stove is under sized for this much area, but I figure that any amount will help with the oil costs.

I've finally gotten the lava under control and adjusted the settings so that when I burn, the house is maintaining at 69 degrees when it is 28-32 degrees outside. I keep the baseboard oil thermostats at 61 degrees as a baseline. Oil turns off when the stove gets up to speed. Pretty good heat from the little stove.

My bottom buttons are adjusted to 3-4-1 on the "D" setting.

My question is about the vent piping I have. The stove is cornered and has a "s" shaped pipe leading out through the wall. The pipe extends straight out of the house for three feet and then there is the cap. There is no rise at all from the back of the stove. I've attached a photo of the pipe.

I am reading that most people have a rise above the level of the stove. Should I go to the store and add in a 90 degree and rise the pipe outside? I was going to add an OAK and figured that I should check in about the pipe while I'm at it.

Would a vertical rise help to avoid smoke in the house if I lose power?

Unrelated, anyone know how hard it is to find pellets during the prime of the heating season? I have enough room to store another three tons or so, but I'm not sure if it'll be overkill. I just don't want to run out during the winter and not be able to find any.

Thank you everyone. This site has been very helpful.

Attachments

• 20181105_182326.jpg
    20181105_182326.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Thank you,

If I simply reconfigure the pipe with a cleanout 90 degree and a 3' rise, I shouldn't have any issues with the stove right?

I finally got this thing running well and don't want to mess anything up.

Nope it should be fine. It may like the extra draft it will get ;)