should I be filling up this model 21 all the way?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stowy65

Hearth Supporter
Nov 7, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Hello! I have been burning this for about a week now and wonder if I need to be filling it up all the way and letting it go. Once I have a bed of coals I put a couple medium sized logs on there. Should I put more?

Like any stove, it depends on how much heat you need. In addition, some stoves have trouble kicking off your secondary combustion on too small of a load.

On my 21 I would load as full as possible. Bucking your wood short and loading NS (the ends facing the front and back) worked well for me. Make sure you have a good sealing door gasket and load it on up. With a fully loaded buck 21 you will get a great secondary light show for a couple hours. I would heat about 4-5 hours on a load if I did it well. I have gotten a bit longer but nothing to brag about.. Great little stove, my parents now theirs.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.