Should I buy this used F500 Oslo?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

benbirby

Sep 11, 2014
Baltimore, MD
Hello fine people of the hearth!

I'm looking for a new (used) stove for my house, and there is a used F500 for sale near me that I went and looked at today. I'm sorry I don't have pictures- it wasn't in a place that was easy to photograph.

Anyway, it seems to be a mid-2000s model. It's the very nice green enamel finish. It came with the house the guy bought last year, but it wasn't installed, so he's never used it and I think it's been sitting around a while. I inspected the interior and it doesn't have the problematic cracks around the bottom plate. I'm sure it will need some refurbishing but the body seems overall solid. The ash door handle is missing, so I will have to buy one of those. Also the air control lever is stuck open, but that seems like an easy fix. I'm sure I will also at least replace the gaskets.

He is asking $1200 but I talked him down to $800 because he really couldn't give me any good information about its history and I'm sure it will be at least somewhat of a project.

Do y'all think $800 is a good price?
I would appreciate any other tips regarding other things to look out for when I return to get it.

Thanks in advance! It's been probably 10 years since I've lived with a stove and I'm sure you'll be seeing more of me...

Without knowing anything else, 800 seems like a good price for what may be a perfectly functioning stove.

Without knowing anything else, 800 seems like a good price for what may be a perfectly functioning stove.

Thanks for responding! I'm not a total newbie but I'm also not an expert. I have read a ton on here and elsewhere about the particular model, and have used/lived with several Jotuls in the past but I really wanted a general vibe check on whether that is a reasonable ballpark. My feeling is that whatever might need to be fixed/modified on that stove is probably within the realm of projects I can do, as long as the overall body is in good shape and hasn't been abused...
Just needed a little encouragement!

Stainless burn tubes or cast iron baffle? The cast iron was not a good design. Check the base for cracks and/or wrapped ash grate.

Stainless burn tubes or cast iron baffle? The cast iron was not a good design. Check the base for cracks and/or wrapped ash grate.

The ash grate and base both looked totally solid.
I forgot to check what kind of baffle it had. Doh. It was in a bit of a cramped space so I had to be creative to inspect it.

Is the cast iron baffle a dealbreaker? Even if it's not warped?

Last edited:
The ash grate and base both looked totally solid.
I forgot to check what kind of baffle it had. Doh. It was in a bit of a cramped space so I had to be creative to inspect it.

Is the cast iron baffle a dealbreaker? Even if it's not warped?

If you want it for looks probably not. The green unique. 800$ this year I’d probably bite. That said if just need a no nonsense heater check out Drolet. I love my F400 but there are better stoves from a durability perspective, and much cheaper (comparing new to new) stoves if you are ok with a plain looking stove.

And I could be wrong about the F500 and cast baffles If you are ok with the possibility of doing some work on it Id buy it. Check all the gaskets including the ashpan if you get it. Easy fixes but leaks can overfire a stove and cause lots of damage.

Reactions: benbirby
If you want it for looks probably not. The green unique. 800$ this year I’d probably bite. That said if just need a no nonsense heater check out Drolet. I love my F400 but there are better stoves from a durability perspective, and much cheaper (comparing new to new) stoves if you are ok with a plain looking stove.

And I could be wrong about the F500 and cast baffles If you are ok with the possibility of doing some work on it Id buy it. Check all the gaskets including the ashpan if you get it. Easy fixes but leaks can overfire a stove and cause lots of damage.

I do really like how it looks. Looks certainly aren't my highest priority but at the end of the day I can't pretend it's not at all a factor...
I realize the green is a weird color but my general style is a little wacky, so... ha

My understanding with the baffles is that the cast iron can warp if you burn fires too hot, and that the vermiculite solved that problem, but if they aren't already warped I feel like it's okay because I'm a responsible fire burner so I'm not gonna warp them?

I'm not in the financial situation to buy a brand new stove, and I think ultimately I do gravitate towards things that cost less money but take a little extra elbow grease. From all I've read it seems that the F500 is a workhorse that can last a long time if treated properly.

I appreciate all the thoughts!

Thats my Oslo 500 V1, green. 2000 vintage with cast iron burn plates. This stove is a workhorse. Door gaskets only. The burn plates, heavy as hell. The green finish is gorgeous. Just make sure it wasn't run with the ash door open.

Check the top plate carefully for cracks around the edges of the oval. Some have been reported recently. If none are found in the base around the grate, or around the top, or around the flue collar, that's a good sign. Examine the baffle for warping too.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going back in the next few days, hopefully to pick it up, but will inspect the top plate and baffle before I move the beast...
If I get it I'll post pictures, and if I don't then you'll be hearing from me when I find my true match!

Reactions: begreen and EbS-P
One other question, which I have searched for but haven't found an answer to -

When I go get this thing (or whichever one I end up getting), are there any classic rules about loading and transporting a stove that aren't immediately obvious, like a fridge?

My main question is whether there's any reason it can't ride on its back? Do things shake loose if you tip it?

I imagine it would be helpful to take the doors off to make it a bit lighter, and I'm gonna bring moving blankets to pad it with, and I have a lot of experience moving heavy and fragile things, but I thought some of you pros might have some top-of-the-head tips for putting this baby in a truck...

A few tips, don't overstress the cast iron legs by transporting it on an uneven surface or tipping it up on one leg. I find stoves the easiest to move when they have wheels so I put a the stove on a sheet of plywood that is a little larger than it's footprint. After blanketing, I slip the foot of a good appliance dolly under the plywood and ratchet strap the stove to the appliance dolly. Once it has wheels, moving is pretty easy. I have never taken the door off or removed parts to move a stove, not even our 550# Alderlea.

The F500 will probably have a rear heat shield on the back. I am not sure if that will take the weight of the stove. If transported that way, remove the base grate first.

Welp, he found someone to pay his $1250 so I'm gonna wait for the next one!
What do y'all think is the max you would pay if, say, one were in perfect working condition? There is another one (but a V2 I think) I might look at but they want a whole lot for it.

FWIW, this is a project I'm working on for next heating season, not this year. So I'm not in a big hurry. I'm replacing my boiler with a direct-vent system, and I have to do that before I can reclaim my chimney for the stove.

You didnt want the green one anyway. Just because you dont see the cracks at first, does not mean they are not there.

I break down 500/600s regularly, and only about 75 percent of the time do I find all the cracks before the breakdown. And those enamel pieces are crazy expensive, normally 2x-3x the cost of the pieces in MB.

Reactions: benbirby and EbS-P
18 months ago I passed on a perfect F400. They were asking 1000$ and it was a bit rusty. Like new F500 v2 asking 2500 but not getting sold in the 4 weeks i was looking. Anything in the 1000-1500 range sold in a week. Again 18 months ago. My brain still hasn’t recalibrated to the inflation related pricing.

Man I love this forum. Y'all have a good answer for everything!

I'm gonna pass on this one (also green) that's $2300 (firm) and hope for one in better shape in the $1500 or less range.

While I'm at it (and since y'all are still indulging my endless questions)-

I have really become fixated on the F500, but I'm interested to know if y'all have specific other makes/models you think I should look at.

About me:
I've always really preferred side loading stoves.
My house is about 1400 square feet, and the room it's going in has a bit of a weird shape, so I don't want to get anything with a bigger footprint than the Oslo.
I generally (in all things in life) prefer to buy used than new, and I also am on a scrappy budget. Read: I have more time than money.
My two cars are a 1986 Toyota Pickup and a 2000 Honda Insight. My house was built in 1890. I work on them all quite a bit. That should tell you something.

I love the side loading feature of the Oslo. It seems to be the right size, heat-wise and footprint-wise, and they seem to last forever and be somewhat easy to work on and maintain. I've also just read a TON about them, and feel like I'm familiar with their issues, as much as I can be without having owned one.

I'm ready to hear other points though, just so I know I'm not latching onto this one model baselessly......

You're on the right track. We like our Oslo. 2009. Little to no maintenance. Very versatile. If it's mild out, a couple logs will boost the temp just enough. -40deg f and it's a solid heater. When it's cold out, we all migrate to the stove. Love the radiant heat. It's the focal point for the first floor here, so it needed to fill that role too.

1128221947a.jpg

Reactions: Todd and benbirby
You're on the right track. We like our Oslo. 2009. Little to no maintenance. Very versatile. If it's mild out, a couple logs will boost the temp just enough. -40deg f and it's a solid heater. When it's cold out, we all migrate to the stove. Love the radiant heat. It's the focal point for the first floor here, so it needed to fill that role too.

View attachment 304055

Your opinion is worth extra because cat.

Also it's obviously what I want to hear, even though it will make the search a little more difficult...

While I'm at it (and since y'all are still indulging my endless questions)-

I have really become fixated on the F500, but I'm interested to know if y'all have specific other makes/models you think I should look at.

About me:
I've always really preferred side loading stoves.
My house is about 1400 square feet, and the room it's going in has a bit of a weird shape, so I don't want to get anything with a bigger footprint than the Oslo.
I generally (in all things in life) prefer to buy used than new, and I also am on a scrappy budget. Read: I have more time than money.
My two cars are a 1986 Toyota Pickup and a 2000 Honda Insight. My house was built in 1890. I work on them all quite a bit. That should tell you something.

I love the side loading feature of the Oslo. It seems to be the right size, heat-wise and footprint-wise, and they seem to last forever and be somewhat easy to work on and maintain. I've also just read a TON about them, and feel like I'm familiar with their issues, as much as I can be without having owned one.

I'm ready to hear other points though, just so I know I'm not latching onto this one model baselessly......
Realistically you can get a new Drolet for what you will pay for a used F500. They look nice. At 1400 sq ft of the price was right I would consider and F400 but know it’s 4-6 hours burn time in the cold. Pacific energy T5 is the only other stove that looks the same. (Blaze king Ashford too) both probably less or very uncommon on the used market. Vermont casting Aspen. It’s small but could be an option if the price was right.

Do you have a wood stove now?? Get wood now either way. Honestly cheap heat for 1400 sq ft. Mini split heat pump, Mr cool DIY.. cheaper to buy and install than a used stove (if you don’t have a stove already) Solar if that ever is an option makes it a no brained. 2000$ towards air sealing and insulation goes a long way. I really really really wanted another F400 for the downstairs fireplace. Didn’t happen I’ve moved on. The cheapest option won.

Do you have a wood stove now?

We don't have one now but we have both lived with them and miss them a lot (obviously it's not ONLY about what makes sense but also how you feel)...
But the big thing is that my partner is an arborist and every year that goes by that we aren't heating the house for FREE seems more insane than the last..........

Obviously it's not *FREE* because we have to buy and install the stove, but we are replacing the boiler anyway so it makes sense to us to do it now.

Reactions: EbS-P
We don't have one now but we have both lived with them and miss them a lot (obviously it's not ONLY about what makes sense but also how you feel)...
But the big thing is that my partner is an arborist and every year that goes by that we aren't heating the house for FREE seems more insane than the last..........

Obviously it's not *FREE* because we have to buy and install the stove, but we are replacing the boiler anyway so it makes sense to us to do it now.
Heatpump and wood stove is a great combo.

This is my first post here but have lurked for some time as I'm also shopping for a wood stove. I am not able to post in the classified forum where you put your WTB post, but writing to let you know there is (or was about a month ago) a showroom model (i.e. likely some imperfections) majolica brown F500 at a dealer in Fairfield County CT, for less than 1K. I realize that's a long haul, but just FYI.

This is my first post here but have lurked for some time as I'm also shopping for a wood stove. I am not able to post in the classified forum where you put your WTB post, but writing to let you know there is (or was about a month ago) a showroom model (i.e. likely some imperfections) majolica brown F500 at a dealer in Fairfield County CT, for less than 1K. I realize that's a long haul, but just FYI.

Haha I called them but they had no idea what I was talking about!
Thanks for the tip though!

Last edited: